How may irons in your fire?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Laruuk

Postby Laruuk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:05 am

Laruuk

Postby Laruuk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:05 am

How many projects are you working on at one time? How does your total break down between queries, articles, books, short stories and whatever else you're doing?

With the pace my life travels at, I don't have a lot of writing projects going on.

I'm pecking away at one novel, have an outline for another one and an idea in my head for a third. I submitted a short story for publication and am patiently waiting for that rejection letter.

Otherwise, I'm slim on activity.

What about you?

Aspiring

RE: How may irons in your fire?

Postby Aspiring » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:34 am

I have a few queries out on Novel #1, and as the rejections come in, I seek out new agents to submit more queries to.
I've started Novel #2 and I'm up to chapter 3!
I've sent queries for different article ideas to two publications.
I've written a few brief essays and sent them off. I had one accepted just today, and have 2 more out.

All this since joining the Forum in January. I came here looking for feedback on my first novel & query letter, but have been so inspired by everything I see everyone doing here I was really able to jump start my writing life again. I find that I handle the individual rejections better if I have a few irons in the fire. (In fact I got one rejection on the novel query today along with the acceptance letter for the essay.) I can tell myself, "at least I have five other possibilities" for every rejection, and sometimes, like today, I get lucky.

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:37 am

I have 6 short stories out for consideration, I've got two novels stewing in my head, I've taken a break for a week or so to recharge, and a third novel (3 different voices them being told in), and I'm learning how to play GO.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:15 am

I'm writing this year's rough draft novel while waiting for my editor to get back to me on a revision of last year's rough draft novel. Other than that, there's the website to maintain (quiet at the moment) and reader mail to answer. I won't plot another novel till I have the time to write it, so I have three different "novels in waiting" in my head that I won't let myself think about.

That's not a very dynamic schedule, but my younger daughter is already a junior, and I spend lots of time with her. My older one--*gulp!*--is already away at college. There will probably be plenty of time later to write two novels a year, but this chance to spend time with my family won't come again.

Clare

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:37 pm

I have a novel written that needs another revision, then I'll get it out. I started a second in that series, but have put it aside for another completely different novel that I'm getting into. I have two short stories to revise and get out. (Been putting off the gettig them out part.)

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 pm

well, 3 short stories got the shaft. Still waiting the others.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Funny you should ask.

I just told my husband that I feel a bit like I'm spreading myself too thin. I have Novel #1 out in the world seeking representation by a literary agent. I am on page 66 of Novel #2, which I just got back to because I was on a crazed magazine article writing spree. I've sent three full articles out and a query. I have four post-it notes staring at me right now with ideas for more articles written on them. I am finishing up a research article for a scholarly journal and I have a telephone conference with a children's book illustrator friend of mine scheduled for tomorrow...to discuss my picture book manuscript.

I think sometimes too much can stumble out of one's head. I need to tuck a few things back inside so they can simmer a bit.

Prof Durden
Private First Class

Postby Prof Durden » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Couldn't really count them. But gun to my head, I'd say a good 15 stories, each getting 1/13th of my attention. The other 2/13ths are keeping my brain and body alive.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm

I've been trying to count, as well. I have three adult novels wherein the first draft has been finished, one adult novel that is now going through final draft, and two YA novels that are just getting underway.

I have nineteen short stories making the rounds, and another five that I'm working on. If I'm counting right, I also have seven essays making the rounds, and three others that I've started writing.

I don't often write articles these days, but I do have four queries out, and I'm currently writing two articles that have already been accepted.

This is a full load for me, and it's roughly the point I reach when I know it's time to stop adding new projects until about half the ones in prograss are finished.

The most consistent part of it all is the short stories. I like having somewhere around twenty short stories making the rounds at all times. I think, however, that I'll let this number drop to ten or so until I finish the final drafts of the two adult novels.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party