[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How may irons in your fire? : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How may irons in your fire?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jumbie

RE: How may irons in your fire?

Postby Jumbie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:12 am

A.M., Sounds like your life is busy. Take the time when you get it and treat it like a gift. Savor it. Write when you can. This isn't a competition.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:18 am

Yes, anyway, Ancient Mariner (aka James II)...write when you have the time!!

Research people while you're stuck at the shoppette. People-watching results in some of the best characters and dialogue you can create!!

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:56 am

James, I tapped 4:00 into my kitchen timer this morning and hit Start. With 1:48 left to go, I stopped it for lunch. I had a nice, leisurely meal with a good book and then came upstairs and hit Start again. The timer rang about three in the afternoon.

That was my most relaxed writing session in months. Usually, I pop out of my chair every few minutes to work on loads of clothes, pay bills, let out the dog--you name it. At the very least, I check my email and get involved in answering teachers scheduling author visits, etc. Today, knowing that the timer was running, I had permission to write. It's silly that a published author would need permission, but I guess I did and didn't even know it. I'm a busy mom, and it's hard to shut out all those gotta-do items.

Thank you for sharing so much of your experience with all of us. I give advice where I can, but there's a lot I still have to learn.

Clare

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:09 am

VictoriaE
Private First Class

Postby VictoriaE » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 am

Most of my irons are in the query fire, and I add new ones each day. I am also working on two personal essays that I plan to find markets for after they are done. Last but not least, I'm working on an essay that I plan to submit to Chicken for the Dieter's Soul.

Even though I focus mainly on articles and essays, I do plan to publish a book in my own name at some time in my career. I've had a lot of random ideas about what the book should contain, most of which I need to start actually making note of :O

Ancient Mariner
Lieutenant

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 am

How right you are Jumbie!

Trying to do that, sometimes I get a bit lazy, so I have to give myself a bit of a stern-talking-to.

Thanks for the support
Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner
Lieutenant

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am

Boy oh Boy Jessica, have I been observing and have I ever seen some real sights. I’m doing my very best to write as time permits.

Thanks for the sound advice
Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner
Lieutenant

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:58 am

Right on Curious!

I try to write in a civilised manner, using the time permitted. I fully understand about asking permission and making sure the reason provided is a good one.

Trying to be strict on timekeeping
Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner
Lieutenant

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks James, that takes away quite a bit of the guilt. I really do try very hard to balance the time available, without swinging to far in any one direction.

A doing his best
Ancient Mariner

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party