[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Offering Rights (Magazine Articles) : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Offering Rights (Magazine Articles)

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:43 pm

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:43 pm

What's the story on rights (i.e. first serial rights, one-time rights, subsidiary rights, rights schmights)? The class I took from the smarmy freelance guy taught me to always offer the rights up front. But, I've read countless books that tell me that offering rights makes you look like an amateur.

Freelancers, what's the deal?

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Offering Rights (Magazine Articles)

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Most publications have rights listed on their contributor's guidelines page.  Most newspapers retain all rights for articles and photographs, especially if the newspaper is part of a syndication wire such as AP or Knight Ridder.  It is too difficult to filter which articles sold retain which rights under those conditions.  Magazines differ, but most only retain first-time rights.  For photographs, it's usually single-use rights.

I would never offer full rights if it wasn't demanded.  It's not going to get an article sold that they editor doesn't like. 

In fact, I had to pull an article recently from the newspaper, because they had negotiated single-use rights to accompanying photographs and full rights to my article.  When I submitted the article and photographs, I was then informed that the policy had changed on the photographs, and they would need full rights to run it.  Since they are my husband's photographs and hang in a gallery in Old Town here, that was not an option.  We had to pull the entire package.

When you get the assignment or acceptance is when I would ask about rights.

Just my opinion, and others may do it differently.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks, Lisa. I thought about sending you a private message rather than posting this thread...it looks like I may as well have, huh? :)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 pm

It's early yet - you'll get more responses tomorrow!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:58 pm

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:21 am

deedee1
Corporal

Postby deedee1 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:55 am

I'd agree that you probably don't need to worry to much about offering rights unless the article has been previously published elsewhere. As far as newspapers go, they seem to all be different. When I worked as a stringer, if my newspaper assigned an article then they kept all rights. But if I pitched them the idea and wrote something on spec, then they only purchased one-time rights. After that, I was free to sell the story elsewhere. That said, this particular newspaper wasn't part of a syndication.

I frequently write op/eds and spin them off many times. Years ago, I sold the same op/ed to The Dallas Morning News and The Miami Herald. I made sure The Miami Herald knew that it had already run in the Dallas Morning News -- and they were okay with that.

Currently, I'm pitching excerpts from my forthcoming book to magazines. That's yet a different bag of rights. One thing I'm clear on . . . I'm seldom in the driver's seat.

Diana
http://www.DianaEstill.com

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party