[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
outlines and music : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

outlines and music

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
wrdal1
Private E-2

outlines and music

Postby wrdal1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 am

wrdal1
Private E-2

outlines and music

Postby wrdal1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 am

Hi everyone

Does anone recommend or use an outline before they start to write. I feel that my ideas flow out easier if I just write instead of trying to brainstorm an outline. What do you think? Also, I usually write while I listen to music. I find it that it helps with the flow of things. Anyone else listen to music while they write

GerriCurless
Private E-1

RE: outlines and music

Postby GerriCurless » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am

I don't use an outline when I write but then I'm very new to the writing community - I'm actually taking a class right now.

As far as listening to music - yes, I do. I subscribe to Rhapsody and they have an actual "playlist" called "Music for Writing" - I find it very soothing.

If you'd like I can list the song titles and artists.

Gerri

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi wrdal1!

When I write, I have at least an idea of what I want to do...if it's non-fiction, an outline helps me make sure the article is at least readable to the average reader. If it's fiction, I start with an idea and go from there.

I may get ideas for a certain scene or response from listening to music, but if I start drumming (another inspirational thing I do), I have trouble stopping! :) If music works for you, use it!

Charlie

Keep the beat goin'...

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Talis1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:40 pm

When I first started writing, I used to outline all of my stories. With my current project, I reverted back to free-writing without outlines, but I've discovered that an outline helps to keep me on track with the plot, so I'm back to using them. I find that my outline is a great map and reminds me what I intended when I first started the project. That's not to say it's written in stone; I'll change it if I feel the need.

As for music, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what I'm writing and especially if I'm having trouble with a scene. Sometimes when a scene isn't flowing like it should, music distracts me. Sometimes when a scene IS flowing the way it should, music distracts me. It depends on the day! :)

Nazirte
Private E-1

Postby Nazirte » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Hey there!
As for using an outline, it really depends on whether I feel like it or not. For a short story, most likely not. For my novel, yes, there is a very rough outline, but it gives me an idea of where I'm going. I also have a lot of my story in my head while I'm writing about it, so I kind of have a mental map through the whole process. When I write for college, though...there's no outline, unless the prof requires it, in which case I write the paper first and the outline later. *shrug* it's gotten me lots of A's! =0)

As far as the music goes, I actually prefer silence when I'm writing. Music mostly distracts me. I also really like the sound of my own typing. It makes me feel like I'm being productive. When writing papers, though, I like to listen to music because the writing is so BORING I need something else to do at the same time.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:58 am

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 am

No outlines for me, either. Just now, I'm tearing my hair over a very convoluted plot that I'm having to tell stream-of-consciousness style (all out of order chronologically). I drew a sort of map yesterday of the various subplots just to refresh my memory, but I'm finding the right emotional times to pair stuff up as I'm following my nose through the story.

I find that emotional pacing--the urgency of the question/answer process going on as a novel progresses--is a much better indicator for what goes where than any other aspect of storytelling. A story told in simple chronological order can bog down in minutiae and lose that urgency and suspense. I can't predict this from the beginning, so I don't think I could outline with success. Instead, I try to keep my finger on that emotion and follow it like a thread through the story as I write.

No music for me while I'm writing, although I try to "imprint" on a particular CD while I'm thinking about a project. It helps later to bring that project back into focus when I do revisions.

Clare

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:38 am

I don't outline either. But, I have a writing journal in which I write thoughts about my various projects. I also hand write so I can make notes in the margins as I write. All the extra notes and reminders help me stay on track.

I don't usually listen to music as I write, but I always have music going through my head. I even derive music from my writing occasionally. I've already written a few songs based on my writing as a result.

I think of writing as an organic process. Let it flow and let it be a journey of discovery for yourself. In my view, the story is more likely to be a natural adventure for the reader as well.

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party