[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Christmas Card Picture : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Christmas Card Picture

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jmar2
Major General

RE: Christmas Card Picture

Postby jmar2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:11 am

These are all hounds, Ellen. The only time they bathe is after they have rolled in some really long dead earthworms that have baked in the sun, or in some realy ripe deer dung. We have had one or two assembly line baths. When all of them were alive, it took a couple of hours.

They do swim a lot however. Probably from February through November, they're in the water two or three times a week. (We live on a big farm in southern Virginia. )

But they are sissies, too. They have a big warm blanket they love to burrow into and only come out for food!

The big black and tan, Bear: while he was alive, he loved to hunt frogs. He'd run along the bank of the river, scaring the frogs into the water, then he'd jump in after them. Never caught any, but always thought it great fun. Once he caught a baby turkey, in flight! We flushed the clutch from its nest while walking, and he just dashed forward and lept into the air and caught the last bird out. Before we could even say anything, 'chomp' and feathers and all were gone.

Most of the others were rabbit hounds, nothing finer than running the same trail thirty or forty times looking for a rabbit that had passed by hours ago. I swear, one time they were doing that, six of them were coursing back and forth headed north along the trail and there was a rabbit right in their path. It froze and they just sniffed, heads down, right past it. As soon as the last one passed, the rabbit took off south.

John

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:08 am

John, I sent you a cute email I thought you'd enjoy. (It's a doggy thing. Anyone else wants it, just say so and I'll forward it.)

Hope you like it.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:24 am

Great pictures, John! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and thanks for the plug on the website - it's "Kids, Cats and Fecal Matters," if anyone's interested.

Warning: nothing (almost nothing) on my website has been edited. I just sit down and type, spelling grammar and punctuation errors all intact.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 am

Cindy, I only thought it fair, since the poor soul actually admitted to having both boys and cats

John

Ellen
Sergeant First Class

Postby Ellen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:58 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:41 am

They sure are adorable, John. I think Twink and Pooh are my fave. Are you planning on having a hundred of them ever again?lol I could not imagine having so many dogs. Of course, I tried to have one twice before and didn't work. We're city folks. Need I say more!

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:19 pm

I think I'll always have dogs, but never so many again. We originally were going to make the proverbial fortune raising purebreds, but couldn't part with them. After spaying and neutering everyone, we then got involved in dachshund rescue and became known briefly as Camp Therapy. We got three back surgeries up and walking again.

But it is a full time job and really hard on your soul. For example, we rescued Tom from the Lexington, VA animal shelter. Someone found him stumbling alongside the road. We originally were just going to bring him home to die. The vet at the shelter estimated him to be about sixteen, arthritic, rotten teeth and full of fleas. Oh yes, and unneutered.

Sue brought him home and I immediately named him TOM for "The Old Man". As she carefully lifted him out of the car, he caught scent of the six females running up to greet the car. He suddenly found a will to go on, (even though the females were all spayed.) His back was so bowed, he couldn't really walk, but he sure as hell could crow-hop after his wenches.

Our vet listened to his heart, said he'd probably die in surgery, but his heart was strong and what did we want to do. By then he was grinning like a fool, totally exhausted and we figured what'd we have to lose. The next day, he had been neutered, all his teeth extracted, and been given a complete flea and tick bath. He came back to the farm and lived another three and a half years. He had to be hand-fed, and within a month he was galloping around the place having the best time ever. Like I said, a full time job and hard on the soul.

John

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party