[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fear of rejection? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Fear of rejection?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
wrdal1
Private E-2

Fear of rejection?

Postby wrdal1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:25 pm

wrdal1
Private E-2

Fear of rejection?

Postby wrdal1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi All..I have always wanted to be a writer since I was a kid. Everytime that the ideas start swirling through my mind, I start to write. After awhile I get this feeling that my work is not good enough so I stop and take a few months off until the ideas come again and it all starts over. I love to write and have not submitted my work yet so am I afraid of rejection or what. I don't know. Do any of you have any ideas for me. I have about 5 or so ideas for long fiction now that I am about to start on, but I want to actually finish it and not discourage myself. Help!!!!

Thanks
Pat

Camille
Private First Class

RE: Fear of rejection?

Postby Camille » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Do it for you first.  Enjoy writing and take your time - but finish a novel before you start worrying.  You have no idea how much time you'll have when you have the novel finished!  Read as much as you can too.  Also read "self help" articles, take a writing class, get involved with writing forums.  It's fun making up stories, crack yourself up or make yourself cry.  The hard part comes after the novel is finished. 

Sheri
Private E-2

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Pat,

The rejections are sickening-if I must say so my self-but some of them can be encouraging. You may, at times, recieve feedback that can help you to better your writing or that might point out some things that you haven't given thought to yet. In truth, a lot of them will be form letters, though.

What you should always, always remember when you start to submit your work, is just how many gazillions of people exist on this earth. The rejection you may possibly recieve is coming from only ONE of those gazillion people. Everyone has an opinion, right, and this is just ONE of the many, many, many!

God knows I have had my share of rejections! I have a huge collection of them. Huge!!

Pick up Stephen King's book "On Writing" if you get a chance. It's very inspiring and...wow! Check out how many rejections HE got!

It happens to all of us.

On your way to that mailbox, look at it like this. Instead of "fear of rejection" it is simply "aticipation of success"!

Never give up on yourself and never give up on your dreams.
If you are writing, you are already a writer.

What the mind of a person can conceive and believe, it can achieve!

Best of luck to you, my friend. Keep us all posted on how things are coming along.

Sheri

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:30 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party