[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Help! I need a good kick in the ___!! : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Help! I need a good kick in the ___!!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sheri

RE: Help! I need a good kick in the ___!!

Postby Sheri » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Hey there!

Thanks for the encouragement Paul!

I think I might be finding myself again. I was able to get out a whole five pages this evening. I was beginning to think that it was gone forever but in truth, I see now that I just have to get myself over the initial shock of the situation. It's happening...slowly! Thanks to the shoulders of my fellow writers.

I must say though, it is quite strange that you could live with yourself for your entire life and think you know yourself pretty good - then all of the sudden you meet one of your other personalities. Guess you never truly know what you might find if you dig far enough beneath the surface. I found a scared little girl all curled up in a little ball. Where the hell did she come from?

Thanks again. So very much! I wish you the best in success with your writing!

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:51 am

"You never know what you're gonna get."

I love it!

Eleven satisfying pages this time around! Things are shaping up.

I do have to say this to you, Paul. You, along with the others that took the time to reply to my desperate cry for some type of direction, have been a great help to me. Because of this, I feel it is important that I share anything I have learned from personal experience that may be a help to any of you.

So...

Never throw it away! It might not seem right for what you are working on right now but it may possibly be perfect for something you write in the future.

I have put things aside--phrases, dialogue, even entire paragraghs--because I thought they didn't fit, only to find that later on down the line they would fit sweetly and comfortably in something else I was writing.

Save it all. It is all meant to go somewhere.

I know that sounds crazy but I've experienced this. Besides, all of us writers are said to be a bit "crazy" in the first place, right?

I don't know about you but I welcome the title. It's funny how those who don't write just don't understand!

By the way, Paul, what sort of writing do you do? I'm curious. Maybe we could share bits and pieces.

Sheri

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Talis1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am

Sheri,

I wholeheartedly agree that writers should never throw anything away. The writing folder on my desktop is the perfect evidence of this! I keep pretty much everything I write down, just in case I run into a block and something I've created earlier works. Good advice to share!

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:20 pm

Sheri:

I don't think you need a good kick anywhere. You need--and are getting, from what I've seen--plenty of support and gentle nudges on the shoulders.

I have read that many famous authors practically papered their walls with rejection slips--until someone took a chance on them (for some reason, the author of the original "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books comes to mind) and they got their first big break.

Contrary to what some might think, an agent isn't God; he or she will help you get that big break. You were writing before you signed your contract, and I'm sure you'll be writing again (if not already!). Believe it or not, it might help to spend a day or two away from writing...you might discover your next idea by focusing on something other than the computer keyboard or the note pad.

You're already further along than a lot of writers!

Good luck!

Charlie
Keep the beat goin'...

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks Charlie!

This forum is absolutely wonderful. As you said, I have recieved nothing but encouragement.

I'm back on track again but I don't feel it would've been this soon with out all of the new friends I've encountered here.

Every one has been so kind!

I am just sitting down here preparing to tackle some more. I plugged out eleven pages yesterday. Hopefully I can at least match that tonight.

Thanks for your feedback. Good luck on your writing journey as well!

Sheri

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Well, I missed the discussion, but I'd like to add a couple things.
First, congratulations on getting an agent! I think I'd be going insane! :)
Second, if a lack of inspiration ever comes again, I'd like to suggest a book that my sister bought me for Christmas. It's called The Writer's Book of Matches, written by the staff of Fresh Boiled Peanuts. It's a book of 1001 prompts such as " 'I'm sorry. Your position is being eliminated' ", "A father tells his daughter a family secret that prompts her to tear up her college applications and purchase a one-way plane ticket", or "A woman is hired to be the private message therapist for an usual client. Write about her first session with: the president of the United States, the lead singer of a rock band, a spoiled socialite, an eccentric billionaire, and a young man with a terminal illness." There are three different types of prompts (as you can see) and all are very fun!
Congratulations again, and good luck!
Lynne

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:19 pm

Lynne,

Thanks for the reccomendation! Sounds like a useful (and fun) book. Think I'll grab a copy. Every little bit of inspiration helps to pound out a few more words! What do you write? Shorts, novels...fiction, nonfiction?

It is certainly nice to have a family that cares about and supports your dreams. We are both very luck in that!

Best of luck to you, Lynne!

Sheri

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:28 pm

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:45 pm

Lynne,

I have seen some of your sister's posts. How interesting, our lives. My sister, though quite the elder, began in her writing when I introduced her to it. Before, she was never truly interested and would only listen to my carryings on out of politeness. I invited her to the SC Book convention in Columbia (lovely experience) a few years back and took her to listen to some of the speakers there. They told about their experiences in writing and in life, then read short excerpts from some of their published works.

It was an awakening for my dear sister and she has been writing and sharing this with me ever since. She is quite good, too. This just goes to prove the old saying, "you never know what you can do 'til you try."

It has added to our bond in a different sort of way and I couldn't be happier!

What's the difference in your novels? Genre?

Take care!

Sheri

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party