Help! I need a good kick in the ___!!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sheri

RE: Help! I need a good kick in the ___!!

Postby Sheri » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:49 pm

That's an interesting change. Hope it works out well for you.

At one time, my sister, my mother and myself had discussed writing a book together but with our different schedules and busy lives it never came about. We were going to call it "20, 40, 60".

Sometimes we still talk about writing it but it would be different now if we did. At the time I was twenty-something, my sister was forty-something and my mother was sixty-something. It was going to be a mixture of life experiences and veiw points based on the different ages and personalities.

I am now in my early thirties, my sister is creeping up on fifty and my mother is in her seventies. (She is a very young seventy-something though!) Hope I follow in her footsteps as far as that's concerned.

So... we're older and it doesn't quite fit, right? I keep trying to explain to them that being older, in most cases, doesn't automatically mean you froget. We all remember what things were like in those few years back as well as what happened in our lives. It's not too late, I don't think!

It's not the type of writing I usually do but I think we would all enjoy doing this if we could just find or make the time.

I am, however, writing a story with a friend of mine. Its a supernatural horror. I write a few pages then surrender it over to her. She adds a few pages to it and then I get it back. It's fun and exciting. I like seeing the different directions that things go in as apposed to where I had intended. It keeps it fresh and keeps the imaginative mind working.

Good luck to you and your sister both, but most of all...have fun with it!!

Sheri

comeaux50
Sergeant First Class

Postby comeaux50 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:26 am

Sheri, from where I sit, it's simple. You have a load of negativity blocking you from the door. Whatever protection you used to keep you from falling apart while the rejections were piling up, you simply forgot to switch it off. WE HAVE ALL DONE THIS in some form. Here is what helps me when I get stuck in anything. First, I pray. Second, I make a list of all the negative things I'm thinking. I actually write these down. Be blunt. Call a spade a spade. Remember, no one is going to see this list but you. Next, store the list away. If you wake up and you are still blocked, make a new list and place it in the drawer until you have empited yourself out. Eventually you will begin writing again, and when you do and you become stuck again, READ THAT LIST because I guarantee you there's another story on the list you made. (That's why you shouldn't throw the list out.) And whatever you do, don't be hard on yourself. You need to download. That's all. Once you get it all out, you will be FREE to write. God bless. ...and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
-- donna -- in Oklahoma

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Donna,

Thank you for your suggestions and your inspiring words.

I have made my way through this freeze...I prefer writer's "freeze" as apposed to writer's "block". Block sounds so much like forever where as a freeze can be unthawed. With the help of some bright, warm and sunny new friends that I met here on this site, I felt the ice begin to melt away. Its a good thing.

Thanks so much for your congrats! Now that I am writing again, I have finally been able to step back, think about it and actually start to enjoy this.

Best of luck to you!

Sheri

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party