[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story?

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:15 am

This is just too tough a question. I love action/adventure, fighting, mayhem, but I hated Fight Club. Thought it was one of the silliest movies I've ever seen. Star Wars is high on the guy film list, but I'd have to rank Indiana Jones higher on my personal guy thing level. Hidalgo is right up there, as well. I think I relate better to heroes who are more real than Luke Skywalker. LOTR was also very high, but with both Star Wars and LOTR, the only people I could relate to were Han Solo and Aragorn. I'm not big on super heroes and special powers.

But even as a guy, I'd have to say two of my all time favorite films are "The Quiet Man," and GWTW. "The Quiet Man" is probably my number one, all-time favorite film.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:37 am

For what it's worth, my Dad's two favorite movies are The Quiet Man & The Long Gray Line. His favorite book is The Call of the Wild.

As I said earlier my husband loves the Lord of the Rings and he's not a reader (opposites really do attract!) so it must be good :) ! (I, an avid reader since the 5th grade, could only get through the Hobbit and the first book in the trilogy. Go figure.)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:47 am

As far as movies go, I really liked "Pulp Fiction". But, it's not my favorite. That would be "Ben Hur"!

It's difficult to choose from books, but I think my all time favorite from the last 500 years would be The Brothers Karamozov. Dostoyevsky captured the relationships and the problem of suffering, good and evil, and the prices we pay in an amazing way.

TBK would be followed closely by LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia. Huckleberry Finn is hard to beat though. Argh!

What about plays, anyone?

I LOVE Les Miserables and Phantom...But, Big River has to be my favorite. Anyway, there you are!

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:18 am

I strongly dislike The Quiet Man, the movie, because I love "The Quiet Man," the story. Those of you who admire the novella should race out to find a copy right away. It's perfect. It's everything a short story should be.

So is "The Terrible Miss Dove."

Clare

shevas

Postby shevas » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:41 am

Hey marcus,
great question. As a girl it was black beauty, the book. (the last time I watched a film adaptation of that I bawled through the whole thing. I can't bear to watch it anymore)

As an adult, the film Equus was a life changing experience for me, (Hmm) though I'm not sure about it being the ultimate woman's film. I'd have to give that honor to Gone with the wind or Thelma and Louise.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:45 am

DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:52 am

We went to see Star Wars three times too -- I think it was the first movie we ever saw more than once like that.

Yes, I remember the Million Dollar Movie, and along that line, my husband tells the kids he remembers a time when you had to get up to change the channel! :)

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:59 am

I went and saw the Empire Strikes Back so many times it was insane. Someone back then had started a rumor that they were intentionally going to end the star wars movie on a cliffhanger. YES I know that sounds unbelievable but they said since lucas was trying to create that never ending serial based cliffhanger he watched a kid I thought there may have been some truth to it.

So I watched and watched.

Man that film was epic. The snow battle, the big theatre gasp from "Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father,... I... am your father."

God that was epic.

So many film school snobs liked to talk trash about GL's writting but the grand scope of what he did there with that story is something I doubt many of them could attain.

So far this poll is suggesting that the big story for guys, is the big story for girls which kind of suprises me.

I only got a few "to be expected" from the ladies. A couple chick flicks and romance stories.

Other wise SW and LOTR are the fat leaders I guess. Interesting.

:)

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:28 am

Flame territory, but I've always been so disappointed that after the thrilling Empire Strikes Back we had armor-plated teddy bears in the third movie. I've never been able to bring myself to watch another Star Wars movie. It was like Tolkien putting a race of Troll Dolls at the base of Mount Doom.... *sigh*

Don't hate me! It's just how I feel.

Adios! I'm off to teach a week of fiction-writing workshops to schoolkids in England. And then play in London for a few days. It's a rough life!

Clare

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party