[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story? : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Q:Your opinion, the Ultimate Boys, Girls, Man, Woman Movie/Story?

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:29 am

The move I went to see th emost times when first released was Jeremiah Johnson. I got in 72 shows before it left the theater. I was the perfect age for it, and even at seventeen or so I'd already spent enough time in the wilderness to releate well to the story and the protagonist.

I had even line of dialogue in the movie memorized.

I suspect, like many things, there is no such thing as the ultimate movie except for the individual. I mean, I absolutely love The Way We Were, As Good As It Gets, Finding Forrester, Remains of the day, etc. I also love The Terminator, Saving Private Ryan, and darned near anything with Chuck Norris in it.

I don't really think it terms of ultimate, I guess. There are movies I love, and movies I don't, and they seldom fall into one category or another. I can Watch The Ten Commandments over and over and over. From my perspective, it's both a great guy movie and a great gal movie. Same with Gone With the Wind. Who wouldn't want to be Rhett Butler?

And I've watched The Bourne Identity so many times I've lost count. Definitely a guy movie, but I know women who love it, as well.

Then again, I love such movies as "You've Got Mail," "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Sweet Home, Alabama."

And where do movies such as "Sixth Sense," and "The Ring," come in? "The Ring" is pretty much the only movie I've seen as an adult that spookd me.

I'm as eclectic in my movie viewing as I am in my book reading.

gracie

Postby gracie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:05 pm

Pride and Prejudice, hands down! The A& E version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

**sigh** Perfection

trovisar85
Private E-1

Postby trovisar85 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 am

Okay, Star Wars-the whole thing- was a huge deal for me even as a woman. I wanted to be Han Solo because he was just too cool.

I was also a huge fan of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" when I was in the fifth grade. The new film is just phenomenal.

My favorite "chick" story would have to be Gone With The Wind. Not just the movie version, but the book itself. There's a lot of stuff in there that most people don't realize-Scarlett's other children and how she was so scared after the war was over and she had to keep Tara up and running.

Other films:
Pulp Fiction-Twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat and great choices for soundtrack.
This is Spinal Tap-The film holds up for all musicians-regardless of genre. Even symphonies have Spinal Tap moments! Wayne's World I & II are other ones rock musicians get a kick out of because they're so silly.
Any of the Stephanie Plum novels-just good, shameful entertainment for those of us who lead terribly boring lives.
The Da Vinci Code-'nuf said.

Most stories that "move" me now are almost always going to be funny-sometimes life is too serious and I feel a great need to laugh at any opportunity!

L.J.

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:56 am

Movie? "Sling Blade" with Billy Bob Thornton.

No doubt about it! This was a low budget film, beautifully telling a story of real love and real life with a wicked-nice, twisted little edge to it. How sweet and creepy! The acting was superb and pretty much untouchable. It makes you think and makes you look at things a little differently.

I own the movie and even watch it when it comes on TV. Love it!

Both of my boys love "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings" equally for the most part but "Harry Potter" is right along side of them. (The books and the movies.)

I believe I have seen "King Arthur" about four hundred times, compliments of my husband but no worries, I love that movie too.

Thing is, I don't think I fit too well in this little survey because my personal likes don't match up with any of the categories (or stereotypes). Though I appreciate many of the movies mentioned as well as the talent of some of the actors, I don't even like "chick flicks" as they call them--save one..."Erin Brochovich".

I don't want to sit on the couch and cry my eyes out. I want to be scared to death!

"The Ring" was lovely, I must agree. "The Grudge wasn't bad either.

Books? - Almost anything by Dean Koontz. Stephen King? Love him, too.

My boys adore "Goosebumps" by R.L. Stine. We have tons of them and we read them together just about every night.

My husband is a huge Dan Brown fan. I believe his favorite is "The Da Vinci Code".

Hope I was of some help but if not, it sure was fun answering. Good luck to you!
Sheri

Lilac
Private E-1

Postby Lilac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 am

Hey! Citizen Kane is at the top of my favorite list, lol, but I'm a woman.That's not really a chick kinda inspiration flick.

Hmmm, print wise I would have to say for me it would be

The Diary of Anne Frank

Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place

LM Montgomery's "The Blue Castle" (I love all the LM Montgomery books, but especially this one)

everything by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little Women, Little Men, and Eight Cousins

The poem Warning-When I Am Old I Shall Wear Purple, by Jenny Joseph

Walden

The Scarlet Letter

In the movie department:

Jesus of Nazareth (1977 movie)

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

The Secret of Roan Inish

Lara Croft's Tombraider (Well, I can't say the Indiana Jones series, lol, and she's a bit like a female Indiana Jones)

Black Beauty

Orlando (very thought provoking for both sexes, but especially women)

On tv

I Love Lucy (I do! I do!)

Sorry about the long list-when you get to my age and have gone through different stages of development, there is more than one book or movie you find moving;)

Lilac
Private E-1

Postby Lilac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:05 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:45 am

wrtrsblck

Postby wrtrsblck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:16 pm

Phantom, Les Mis, Big River....

All great plays. All based on wonderful novels.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party