sequel ^^ bit weary though...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
a jesterWOLF

Postby a jesterWOLF » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:23 pm

a jesterWOLF

Postby a jesterWOLF » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:23 pm

well i decided to write a sequel to my book. ^^ (though i am still owrking on the first one... heh) i am actually really excited, but i am kinda weary about it. i am a little worried about the fact people rarely like sequels... and that it might not be as good as the first. also, there is a new main character, and i plan to kill off almost every main character in the first on in the sequel. THis might kinda p*ss off the reader you know? i like doign that though, i feel like it adds... :o

Curious
Lieutenant

RE: sequel ^^ bit weary though...

Postby Curious » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:06 pm

I have to say, if your first book finds friends, they will absolutely HATE you for killing off their favorite characters. I wouldn't do something that drastic if you intend to seek publication at all. If you're just writing the book for yourself, though, go right ahead--it sounds cathartic!

Clare

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:42 am

Sounds like a TV Series Season Premier - when they kill off all the old cast that didn't get new contracts.  Your characters need a better agent to negotiate with you!  :)

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 am

Reminds me of a funny pulp novel I once read. It seems that the famous writer of a fantasy series hated his main character so much that for every book he wrote, he supplied two final chapters. In the first, the hero was triumphant. In the second, the hero died in some hideous and humiliating way. His editor knew that he had to write that second ending just in order to handle the tedium of working on the highly successful series, so the editor would delete the second of the two alternate endings before publication. Unfortunately, a fanatical fan at a convention found the alternate ending on the author's laptop and wound up killing the author in revenge for the death of his favorite character. So--watch out if you kill off those characters!

Clare

a jesterWOLF

Postby a jesterWOLF » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:50 am

ouch XP the reason i intended to kill them was because there is a sort of new masin character who wants to succeed in his father's dream, which happens to be killing Carter and ruling his people. well he has friends, strong friends, so they'd have to die too for him to be succesful...

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:07 am

Ditto, Clare. That would make me so sad! I have terrible luck with favorite characters; they almost always inadvertantly die. I think that's why my own writing is so morbid. XD

But don't give up. If you like your idea, you should work with it, see where it takes you. You never know, you might end up liking it better than the original. Rewrite, edit, rewrite, rewrite, edit edit...! It's an unending process, but well worth it. Even if sometimes you're pulling out your hair and living off pretzel rods and cheap coffee. ~_^

a jesterWOLF

Postby a jesterWOLF » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:30 am

zomg tell me about it lol all i do is sit in my room and eat chips XP but yeah. I'll never know if it's better till i start on it ^^ i already know it will take forever to finish... the first one is going on year 4 1/2 but i am comfident i will have it finished by the end of this year

Return to Writers' Block Party