One-month celebrations

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
dfletcher
Private E-1

RE: One-month celebrations

Postby dfletcher » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:51 am

Since the beginning of the year I have joined this forum, began learning more about writing and got some good critique on a portion of a story. I have done research on getting published and tried my hand at researching fantasy/fiction to be able to lay out a believable yet fictional strory.

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Talis1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:49 am

In January, the writing bug struck again after having been banished by the holidays. I'm happy to say that I've written over 19,000 words since about the middle of January. Gotta love it when the creativity is flowing! :)

minou

Postby minou » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:47 am

Well, I see that I am among ambitious and accomplished writers! I have nearly finished a short story for submission. I've worked a bit on the novel and submitted first five chapters for critiquing. That's about it. I spend way too much time surfing the Internet!
The good news is I am writing way more than I ever have so that's something.
:)

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:17 am

My "resolution" this year was to write more, submit more and hopefully, finally find that agent so that all of those doors that are closed to a writer with no agent could be opened for me. No kidding! Some of them send your stuff back unopened because it wasn't submitted by an agent.

I have a couple of things to be proud of.

Just recently, I signed a one year contract with my new agent. Wow!!!

Just after that I found that I had been taken over by this alien person who didn't know anything about writing or how to write at all!

Then I found this great forum provided by Writer's Digest. It was full of caring and inspirational people who helped in the performance of a successful exorcism and now, thanks to them, I have been able to reclaim my mind and body and am writing again.

Success comes from within you but it is pushed forward by many more hands than your own.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:20 am

Most of my success thus far is in the form of agents/publishers being very interested in my work. I received a "revision letter" this year that I initially thought was a rejection (Thanks again, Clare!). I also have an agent and another print publisher interested in my first novel. I'm finishing up the second draft of my second novel and have returned to historical fiction for my third novel.

I was also recently asked for the second year in a row to judge a college writing competition for my alma mater, Faulkner University.

I'm excited about the future of my writing. I believe in it and in the people who are interested in it. I can't wait to see what's next!

YarnSpinner
Private First Class

Postby YarnSpinner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 am

January is when I evaluate and re-evaluate my goals. This year my re-evaluation had to do with trying to get published. With the help of WD Forum, I've decided to give it at least another year of pursuing a disciplined and diligent marketing plan for my writing. Thank you, WD members for all the encouragement and inspiration I've received here.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:10 pm

Well...I made a goal to submit and do what I could to get published, or at least get scheduled to get published, get an agent...but I haven't done anything yet.
Congratulations to all of you who have!
Lynne

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Lynne,

Is everything ok with you? Have you just been busy with other things or are you stuck?

Hope you get back on track and things start moving for you.

Remember: What the mind of a person can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

Good luck!

Sheri

deedee1
Corporal

Postby deedee1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:52 am

Okay, here's my piece of shameless promotion:

Since January 2006, I've written 14 humor columns (8 of which will have been published by the end of this week), completed the final edits of my first book (I'll have galleys next month), collaborated on a book cover design, written book promotional materials, joined 2 new forums, entered 2 contests, and formally organized a local writer's group. Oh yes, also I've been ignored (or rejected) by at least three editors, dismissed by a well-known author who's book endorsement I'd sought, and scoffed at by family members who feel certain I'm wasting my talents on frivolous ventures that will NEVER pay off. I'd worry about the latter part if I had time, but I'm too busy.

Diana Estill
http://www.DianaEstill.com

Sheri

Postby Sheri » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:14 am

Congratulations Diana!

Good for you.

Busy seems too mild of a word. "Swamped" comes to mind.

Good to see more success stories. I think these are some of the things that help to keep us all going. Where can I see your humor columns? I love a good laugh, you know!

Keep pushing forward. "If you believe strongly enough in yourself, others will come to believe in you."

Sheri

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party