[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Q: What are some things students are required to remember. Kids to College... : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Q: What are some things students are required to remember. Kids to College...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 pm

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 pm

From almost any category. Could we build a list? I'm thinking of doing some art songs but with the twist that they are thing people must remember. Like for instance when I was a kid we were required to know all 50 states and their capitols to graduate the 5th grade.

I had such a time with that as a kid even though my "test scores" were through the roof.

What other things must kids, young adults in college, high schoolers etc. required to remember?:

1. The 50 states and their capitol cities.
2. ?
3. ?...

Thanks,
~Marcus:)

Lilac
Private E-1

RE: Q: What are some things students are required to remember. Kids to College...

Postby Lilac » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:12 am

times tables

weights and measurements-My son is trying to learn these now and actually told me the other day he wished there were a song for it!

periodic table of elements

quadratic formula and various other algebraic and geometric equations

major Revolutionary and Civil War battles

the alphabet in various foreign languages (Spanish and German in our house)

grammar rules

spelling rules

continents

oceans

constellations visible in summer and winter skies

the solar system

the eleven systems of the body

muscles

bones

the Constitution (my children had to memorize the beginning)

branches of government

Some of these have already been covered by the "School House Rock" series, but my kids HATE the music of that series. Maybe you could come up with something more modern:)

marcus_u
Private First Class

RE: Q: What are some things students are required to remember. Kids to College...

Postby marcus_u » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:51 pm

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:45 am

In 9th grade we learned the name of every country and capital in the world going continent by continent. I rocked the class. They still don't know why I remember the capitals (and major religions XD) of these obscure little countries.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 pm

I also had to memorize the Declaration of Independence in 5th grade. Needless to say I got a D...
My mom used to make up songs to help me memorize the order of the books of the Bible, if you're going for that.
Good luck!
Lynne

Prof Durden
Private First Class

Postby Prof Durden » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:06 pm

College kids?

How about:
1) Pizza numbers
2) How a credit card works
3) Where to take dates so they will be impressed without having to break the bank
4) Problem solving skills. Sure, quadratic equations are nice, but when am I ever figuring out quadratics?
5) How to open, light, and snap shut a zippo, with one hand.
6) Where to find all of the notes on the long literature stuff college students never have time to read.
7) Basic car maitinence that extends gas mileage by, like, a billion percent.
8) Laundry.
9) How to get beer stains out of, well, anything.
10) Getting money out of mom and dad

It may not be required, but damn, sure useful.

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party