[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
...in a quandary - BRAINSTORMING ... need comments : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

...in a quandary - BRAINSTORMING ... need comments

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Aspiring

RE: ...in a quandary - BRAINSTORMING ... need comments

Postby Aspiring » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:33 am

One of my favorite books, The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood, is about 4 women's relationship with the same man, each fourth of the book written in a different woman's perspective. I loved it, so I like your idea about doing it separately. In any case, it might be easier for you to write that way even if you go back and intersperse them later, if it seems to make more sense when you get to the ends of their separate journeys.

I like the subject of your book and the way you're handling it. I'll look forward to reading some as you go forward with it. Happy writing!

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:34 pm

comeaux50
Sergeant First Class

Postby comeaux50 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 am

Susan, Charlie, great suggestions. Since I last posted, I have changed my mind, again, and I'm writing the book in such a way that everyone travels in the same timeline but the chapters will focus on one particular heroin at a time (with some interaction among the four women sprinkled in each chapter). When I first posted my quandary, I wasn't sure what to do. But when I went back and reread the first two chapters through several times, I realized the style of the book was already set up. (Wouldn't you know?!) There was no need for me to change it. Charlie, all the questions you pose about the heroin(s) have been answered in my outline and character traits/sketches of the novel. My aim with this novel is to treat the women of obesity with dignity, while at the same time making them come alive and be real--to hear what people don't say by looking into their eyes--voicing what their eyes unknowingly reveal. But I also want to leave people with the sense that they need to think about what they do to others when their prejudices linger after they walk away. I will not, however, distinguish the effects of obesity between the races. Being obese causes the same ailments and alienations no matter which race we choose to focus on. It's kinda the whole idea of the book...that we're all the same, some with spicier personalities, some from different parts of the earth, some with different cultures and spiritual beliefs. That's what makes humans so unique from everything God made. Sometimes we forget to enjoy that difference. I just hope I can sprinkle all of this throughout the novel.

I will be looking for at least seven (7) readers when the novel is complete. When I get to that point, I hope the forum will come through for me.

Thanks so very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Wish me luck. My first book is in the hands of an agent and I'm still waiting to hear from her. She's had it for a month now. I e-mailed her last week, but did not get a response. Pray she will contact me soon.

-- donna -- in Oklahoma

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:14 am

Best of luck. I've found that sometimes talking out a quandary enables you to work it out, even if not from the suggestions you get, but just in talking it out. Glad you worked it out. I'll look forward to reading. Good luck!

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party