[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fantasy Mystery : Writers' Block Party • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Fantasy Mystery

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
yudelka
Captain

RE: Fantasy Mystery

Postby yudelka » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:24 am

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:18 am

Wow, this is the most intense discussion I've seen here! Go! Go! Go! It's good to discuss these things in a mature environment.

I am a Christian and for many years I went to the school run by my church. I've always been into fantasy books above all others so when Harry Potter came out and a friend recommended it, I was quickly hooked. I'm not so much of a fan anymore because my favorite character died *sigh* but Rowling is an incredible writer. She can keep the story flowing and interesting while following the point of view of only one character. Her humor and wit is always amusing and the story really plays with your emotions.

I have a couple friends who have become Wiccans as a result of reading Harry Potter so I know what people say about it influencing children to do witchcraft is true. I don't buy the "it's good white magic" thing, but I certainly have no problem with Harry Potter. The principal of my school did - after one of my classmates burned some CDs and started giving them out, she took them away and treated us to a lecture that burned CDs are of the devil. She also didn't like kids reading HP, but she didn't ban it until a couple years after it came out. Instead she introduced me (and probably some other kids) to some youth Christian fiction, like Frank Perretti's and George Edwards's books. I did love those books, but I didn't toss aside HP. My parents don't have a problem with it and, though I was lectured often by my youth leaders, came to my own conclusions regarding books.

Books should not be censored. An individual can decide for himself what books he will read. And a fantasy book like Harry Potter does not cause a child to become Wiccan. Everyone is different; most kids who read fantasy books do not start swinging sticks and chanting. If one believes in God, than he believes God gave us our imaginations, and we are hindering ourselves by not using them. If people didn't dare to come up with farfetched ideas the world would be a much different, duller place. I believe fantasy and magic are mystical components of the imagination that get us in touch with that spiritual side we can't deny. A lot of stories have roots in the old druid practices or ancient Roman traditions, but I don't see that that's any reason not to use the same ideas in a story. Fantasy stories are fiction. When you can no longer draw the line between fantasy and reality - that's the real problem.

As for myself, it's true I don't read books about the occult or necromancy. Magic, yes, but not books that emphasize "dark" magic. So I guess you could say I accept the Wiccan idea of good magic and bad magic, I just don't think it really exists. That's what's cool about fantasy - you can get away with storylines and plots that would be farfetched in the real world. Truthfully I think Christians should forget being concerned about fantasy and focus on the much more real problem of erotica. Once again, I don't censor books, but I think parents need to pay more attention to what their children are reading. It may be fine for adults, but my parents closely monitored what I read and I was the last of my class to find out about certain things. It was embarrassing for me at the time, but I'm grateful now because I don't have the history of dirt in my brain and I have a very clear view of what I want my intimate relationships to be like.

But, I agree with what was said earlier - people are different and can make their own decisions. I think erotica is a problem. Someone else thinks it is not at all an issue. I don't care! People are always going to differ in the way they interpret something, so there's no use arguing. That's part of why I left that school. Eventually I just felt too humiliated. There were, of course, other reasons also, but it was a plus.

As a Christian I'm concerned for my Wiccan friends, because dabbling in witchcraft, white or any other color, is dangerous according to my faith. But I don't harrass them about it. They can make their own decisions too. And regardless of what my youth pastor says, my friends certainly are not evil. They are the best friends I've ever had - the Wiccan ones included. For all we know we don't exist, so if we can't know even what we know... how do we know anything?

Anyway, interesting discussion. I enjoyed it.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 am

"I have a couple friends who have become Wiccans as a result of reading Harry Potter so I know what people say about it influencing children to do witchcraft is true."

Uh-oh!  Yet another can of worms! Did I say that I, too, enjoy fantasy?  I just have my limits.  

God forbid any book should be censored!  Whose standards would they go by, yours, mine, or the person who thinks erotica is not an issue?  Point is, we all have different standards, some lower, some higher than others.  We should not judge each others' decisions, as we clearly all agree that we should be free to make them. 

Though I wouldn't read HP, or let my kids, I don't judge any other parent who lets their kids read it.  I'm certain Rowling is a wonderful author, hence her success. 

Parents should be very involved in their kids, from what they wear to school, to what they read, to the games they play, etc.  And with that, I exercise my right, as my kids' parent, to limit certain books, just like I limit certain movies/games.

"Truthfully I think Christians should forget being concerned about fantasy and focus on the much more real problem of erotica."

But why can't I focus on more than one thing at a time?  I think I do a good job at it.  I think that the Christians who are so concerned with fantasy, would, almost inevitably, be concerned about other problems, such as erotica.  The fact that some Christians, like me, are concerned with fantasy shows that we are generally concerned about our kids. 

Okay, enough for now.  I enjoyed reading your post.  Thanks!

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:44 am

I wasn't accusing you of not liking fantasy; I was speaking generally. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Although what you said makes sense (about how people who are concerned about fantasy are probably concerned about erotica also), this has proved to be entirely the opposite as far as my own experiences go. Partly it's because fantasy isn't real and some parents are concerned about their children getting involved in something that is not real, whereas they might figure erotica is going to be exposed to them anyway and it is something everyone deals with. Of course I'm not speaking for everyone; this is just something I've observed in my own area.

What most baffles me though is the strange censorship many parents I know use when judging fantasy. I'm sure everyone recalls the Pokemon craze from a few years back. Pokemon was considered by many churches to be a destructive influence and the creatures (cute though they were) are "demons." I wasn't a fan of Pokemon, but I was a fan of Digimon, which is even worse because Digimon aren't quite as cute as Pokemon. A lot of people gave my parents a lot of crap for letting me and my brother watch the show. However, I know for a fact (from being friends with these parents children - we were elementary schoolers at the time) that these parents allowed their kids to watch MTV and South Park, which my parents don't even let me watch now that I'm 17. Even more astounding is the case involving another anime show, Dragon Ball Z, which involves magic, excessive violence, and is full of weird-looking alien creatures. The parents who bashed Pokemon were fine with their kids watching Dragon Ball Z! I think it was just the fact that Pokemon was so popular and got all this hype that made it seem like it was more dangerous than other similar shows. But still, even been twelve years old I could tell how hypocritical my friend's mom was being when she said Pokemon is evil but it's okay to watch Dragon Ball Z.

But it's true that people can make their own decisions - I have absolutely no problem with that. What I have a problem with is how my parents and I were treated for the choices we made. It's made me a more open-minded person in the long run, so I'm not wholly ungrateful for the experience.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:00 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 am

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party