[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fantasy Mystery : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Fantasy Mystery

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
yudelka
Captain

RE: Fantasy Mystery

Postby yudelka » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:53 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:46 am

I agree. In any case, whether by value judgment or personal preference (Clare's thought), we will try to model our kids after ourselves, and the decisions we make will be based on either of these.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:15 pm

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:32 am

I respect you for making that parental call, Yudelka. I plan to read and discuss the HP books with my kids when they're old enough. But, I plan to read Narnia to them first! Narnia was my first love as far as fantasy stuff goes. Hopefully, instilling the love of the stories in my kids will encourage them to keep reading. That's what Narnia did for me when I was a very young child. Mom read the books to us when we were very small and that prompted us to undertake readin more books like the LOTR/Hobbit/Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales/etc. stuff.

In any case, it's a personal decision, as you said and I respect and applaud you for it!

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:38 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 am

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not Harry Potter about children who can exercise wizardly powers? That's enough knowledge for me to judge. It offers that it is okay for good to possess this witchcraft (evil--in a Christian's eye). Evil/witchcraft does exist (and should be defeated--Narnia), but I don't think it's okay to let my son think that we can/should possess it (HP). Sure, he should know about it, but not indulge it."

I just read this thread today...and I have a question. As a Christian, what have you been taught about so-called witchcraft that causes you to liken it to "evil?" Please know, I am neither a witch nor am I evil (ha, ha)...however, I have read countless books on the Wiccan religion and it is 100% un-evil, if you will. Like any religion, there are Wiccan practitioners who do not abide by the codes of their craft. Wiccans believe the craft should never be used to do harm. Those who choose to do harm, are in my eyes the same as Catholic priests who choose to use their power in an unsavory manner.

I guess I just don't want you to go through life thinking someone or something is evil if you don't know everything about it, you know what I mean? Like I said, I'm not a witch or any other sort of evil-doer (as Dubya, would say). I am a Christian...baptized, confirmed, the whole deal...but I respect witchcraft. It may come from my love of herb gardening and my love of those thick, old texts written by wise herbalists...women who discovered the natural world has much to offer science and medicine.

When I think Harry Potter...I think fantasy...not "real" witchcraft. I think that's where a lot of people are getting mixed up...HP is pure fantasy stemming from Rowling's wonderful imagination (mixed with some real nuggets of witchcraft)...no one should be afraid of their child reading it if the child has a firm grasp on how imagination works and how it can be combined with reality to some degree to produce one fantastic tale, or two, or three, or four, or....

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party