[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fantasy Mystery : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Fantasy Mystery

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
yudelka
Captain

RE: Fantasy Mystery

Postby yudelka » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:05 pm

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:29 am

SilverCrow
Corporal

Postby SilverCrow » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Damn I missed the party. Oh well thats my luck. Guess Ill have to throw us all one when I get back in a couple weeks.

"Cuddle-Buttons"? *dons poo-eating grin* I like that snuggle-lumps. Y'all be good now.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:00 pm

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:27 am

Harry Potter!! what's that? Just kidding. I don't keep up with it at all. All I know about it is that it's based on magic--which, as a Christian I refrain from watching/reading. Though, I must say, I've become very curious about Rowling's writing. Does she even have any other books out? I'm sure she's been quite busy with this series.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:22 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:24 am

I didn't think Narnia could be compared to Lord of the Rings, or even Harry Potter. I read Narnia and did enjoy it. Can't wait to watch the movie. For some reason, though, Lord of the Rings (another one of my no-nos) seems much creepier.

I think the child supervision, under reading, is a great idea.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 am

But...the Bible is nothing if not creepy! Tales about great deeds and terrible trials overcome always feature a great villain, too. Today is Ash Wednesday, and I'm fasting in honor of Christ's fasting in the wilderness. After that, He was tempted by the Devil. I can't imagine anything more--well--demonic! than that.

I'm not trying to get into a religious debate (especially since we seem to share basic religious beliefs), only wondering why creepiness per se would put a book onto the no-no list. Or why some magic is fine (like Narnia) and other magic is not. All magic is unreal, so it should be one or the other, I'd imagine. Of course, I can understand if you just don't care for frightening tales, but you make this sound like a value judgment here, and not just a question of personal taste.

Clare

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm

I agree that the Bible is creepy, it really is weird. And I can see how this question would easily arise from my post. Here's how I see things;

I don't even think I've seen a complete Lord of the Rings preview, so I really can't comment on that. From the little I did see, I was under the impression that it was about "gods, and witchcraft and such," it never interested me though.

Harry Potter is whole "nother" story; I'm under the impression that it is about a child, or children who can find their powers within themselves...don't know a whole lot more. The first things that pop into mind is "lordship/witchcraft" when I think of it. The mere thought of my child reading/watching this and begin to explore demonic powers within himself freaks me out. This may guide him into a dangerous path.

When I read Narnia, I simply got the feeling of a fairy tale. A really harmless fairytale with weird creatures, like Shrek. There is one they call "Witch" (the bad guy) with no apparent powers, and one they call--what was it again...the king of the jungle or something (the good guy)...also with no apparent powers, except he does come back from the dead. Hmmm!

In fact, I've wondered why CS Lewis didn't have the witch fly when the opportunity came, and I've considered that maybe, just maybe, he didn't want that type of witch. Maybe he just wanted to create some kind of neutral world. One where Christians can travel without the fear of exploring such things as warlocks, witches, magical powers, etc. I do realize that these things are metaphoric, thereby making it a bit more neutral.

...that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it (or is it "to it?")
No, it's not just creepyness per se. The Bible is creepy, like you stated, but it's not in my no-no list. I guess the contents does make a big difference. Like scary movies--demons a la open, no thank you! Some things create nightmares, others simply leave a feeling of wow, how exciting!

Wells' "The Time Machine" freaked me out a bit, but that was simply because those big-eyed monsters scared me. I couldn't even move on to "The Invisible Man," as much as I wanted to.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 pm

I have to say that I waited a really long time to see LOTR because it didn't appeal to me. I never read the books.

Man, once I saw the movies I was hooked! My husband bought me the extended versions of all 3 movies and I've pulled more than a couple all-nighters watching 'em. And yeah, they're creepy!

I am baffled as to why LOTR is OK with some Christians while Harry Potter is a no-no.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party