[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own?

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:10 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:13 am

cathryisist
Private E-1

Postby cathryisist » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:53 pm

It's Microsoft. They have more glitches and bugs than any other program on the market. They have good ideas but their follow through sucks somewhat. I love Word Perfect, but now it's really hard to find.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to vent against Microsoft. :)

Sandra

Nazirte

Postby Nazirte » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:59 pm

We recently bought a new computer, and I wasn't willing to buy MS word (or to pirate it) so I am currently using Open Office. I must admit that I really like it, almost better than Word, and it's free! I've also heard a rumor that there are at least several professional (read: successful...unlike myself) writers that use the same program. I don't know much about it, but I like how simple it is to use, with only the stuff that I need as a writer.

It may or may not protect you from Bill Gates...he can pretty much do whatever he wants...

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:38 pm

Well, I have Microsoft Works....ha ha. No it doesn't.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 am

In Word, the formatting codes are stored in the paragraph markers. What usually happens is you have a paragraph at the bottom of the page that doesn't get formatted the way you want. Then when you delete a line or two, that paragraph moves up and changes the formatting on you.

The solution is to make sure that your entire document is selected when you change the formatting. To do this (even on a new document) put your cursur out to the left until the arrow is pointing up and to the right. Then hold down your CTRL key and left click. This will select your entire document. Now make your formatting changes and it will affect the whole thing.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:06 am

Thank you, Jumbie...that is a solution I believe I can handle!! It's so frustrating when that happens!

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party