[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 am

Have you ever noticed how you can set up a page to be double-spaced, Courier New, 12-point...and right in the middle of typing a page, it will suddenly revert back to single-spaced Times New Roman?

Is Bill Gates sitting somewhere on a super computer, reaching out his long technical arms and controlling our pcs from his secret lair?

Curious
Lieutenant

RE: Microsoft Word...Does it have a mind of its own?

Postby Curious » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:15 am

If he is, I want to know why he deleted my calculator and FreeCell game this morning. I think it's some sort of plot!

Clare

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 am

That's silly!

Oh, and yes...Clare...I did notice your absence & I missed you. I'm sure you had a blast with the kids' workshop!! Kids are amazing, aren't they? They are still so imaginative and open to so much--there is so much potential there--artists, poets, writers, all waiting to blossom!

Hmmm...unless you meant writing FOR kids...nonetheless...kids are great. As are writers FOR kids. :)

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Talis1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:34 am

MS Word has "codes" behind the text that tells the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface what you should see. Sometimes extra codes get put into the document -- don't ask me how or why, I have no idea! -- and when they're deleted you see weird stuff happening.

In WordPerfect, you actually have a command that will allow you to see the codes embedded in the document so you can clean them up if you wish. After many years of using WP, I have to say that feature is included because it's necessary. WP is terrible at cleaning up its own messes...

Word, believe it or not, is better, especially if you're dealing with Web-related stuff (URLs for instance) like me.

Generally, my advice would be to make sure your cursor is at the beginning of your document before playing with the settings, or, better yet, set those as your default for every document. Then you don't have to worry about it!

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:43 am

Yes, MSW does have it's own mind. It's called the document default style - usually defaulted to "Normal". The standard defaults are usually Times New Roman at font size 12.

I don't know the 'white space' logic, but when you start typing and manually change to Courier 10, usually as long as you continuously type it stays at Courier 10.

But if you CR/LF of move the cursor down to a blank area of the page, Word or WP for that matter 'sees' the default style and flips you back to TNR/12.

Usually there is a place in tools/options where you can change the style defaults to what you're most commonly using.

John

Laruuk

Postby Laruuk » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:39 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:41 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:46 am

I just don't use Word for the most part. I prefer Linux. I worked on UNIX-based platforms for years before working for my current company where Windows boxes are the standard. Linux and other UNIX-based architectures are more stable and reliable from my experience.

It's also a nice way to get around using "The Man's" software. Of course, it won't hurt ole Bill much, but it makes me feel better :)

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:10 am

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party