[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
No experience : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

No experience

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
entropy_happens

No experience

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:25 pm

entropy_happens

No experience

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Hello everyone. I made the resolution that this year I would send some stuff out, so I'm going to (it's already February--I know I'm kinda slow). But I'm not exactly sure of how to make it sound like I've had experience with my subject matter. My novel deals with drugs and the FBI and teenage pregnancy, but I've never dealt with any of it.
Help!
Thanks in advance.
Lynne

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: No experience

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:02 pm

Don't make it sound like you've had experience with things that you haven't; it could really come back to bite you.

Instead, write an intriguing query letter that includes the essence of your novel.  You'll impress agents more with your writing skill than with inuendos about having a set of skills or experiences that don't exist. 

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 am

This may, or may not fall into the same type of question... If it doesn't, I apologize in advance for highjacking the thread.

Let's say that you knew someone in the FBI and had them read your book and write a letter recommending it. Would it be okay to include said letter with your query letter?

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:22 am

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks guys! When I finish the letter, I'll put it on Critique Central so you can review it. I'll research some more and ensure that every little detail is right, then go from there. I used to know someone who used to be in the FBI, but that fell through, so...guess that's out of the question. Too bad.
Thanks again!
Lynne

Return to Writers' Block Party