[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Camille
Private First Class

RE: Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire

Postby Camille » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm

[QUOTE]Georganna - 2006-02-17 2:51 PM

After all, you are hiring them if you get an offer.

You go girl!  I never hear anyone mention that!

Ar4wY
Sergeant First Class

Postby Ar4wY » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:34 pm

Gooood luck Lisa!

Give em Hell.

P.S. Kinda jelous of you, a writer confrence, i wonder what that's like. Take lots of pictures...if they allow you :D

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:25 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:49 am

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:13 am

I've been told by a well published and fairly well known poet that writers' conferences are a new author's best chance of making the right connections to get noticed. I'll be very interested to learn how the experience goes for you. Best of luck!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:05 am

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:55 am

I hope you're right, because I don't see myself making it to any conferences in the near future. My impression was though, that most agents take on new clients based on referrals by others in the industry, not the regular submission process, and therefore if you don't have a referral, then it's an added foot in the door to have met an agent at a conference.

My poet friend was actually a teacher who clearly taught just to pay the bills, but offered what words of wisdom he had for those of us working in fiction. He did say poets don't make enough to make an agent worthwhile, so since he doesn't work with one, his advice was not from personal experience.

In any case, I don't expect to have the time or money to attend a conference soon, but feel much better about that after your comments. I for one will just keep plugging with the usual submission process. I counted today: I've had 32 rejections (if you count those that never bother to get back to you at all based on an email query) and have 8 outstanding submissions! Whoo Hoo!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:53 am

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:11 am

I'm more hopeful after your comments that I can find an agent the old-fashioned submission way. I find that I prefer to submit to agents who accept some number of sample chapters for the reasons you say. I had contacted the poet/professor in the first place to see if he had any words of wisdom as to how a new writer can possibly distinguish herself in a one-page query letter? He was no help. There's lots of good websites to help with a query, and mine is okay in its 4th version after much good advice from some of you, but still: How much can you truly distinguish yourself in a one page letter that has some formulaic pieces to it. You basically have the first two paragraphs to grab them. It's so hard! I'm afraid if I actually had a meeting with an agent at a conference, I'd be even worse. I'd be so worried about what to wear, what to say to distinguish myself and how to say it that I think I'd spill it so quickly and nervously I would never be taken seriously. I think the old-fashioned submission process might be best for me after all, but I'll be very interested to hear about Lisa's experience when she goes to the conference.

Thanks for the correspondence. You've actually made me feel much better, and now I think I'll go take yet another look at that old query...

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:32 pm

Well, I'm back, and here is my report as promised.

It was my first conference, so I went in a bit skeptical about how useful the information provided would be.  But I'm glad I went and believe it was worth the money spent.  The presentations by the agents were very useful and full of good information.  They discussed hot markets, ones that aren't so hot, and how to differentiate between some of the murkier genres like chick lit, women's fiction, romance, etc. 

I had been informed I would be speaking with a specific agent, so I queried her ahead of time.  When I arrived, I found out I was scheduled to speak with the other agent present.  At first, I was annoyed, but it turned out to be to my benefit.  I had a nice visit with the initial agent explaining the mix-up, and I found the out-of-conference visits just as useful as the information provided in the lecture sessions.  Both agents - while definitely professional and knowledgeable - were very personable.  It was nice to have some "face time" with both of them on a different level than just pitching the book.

My pitch went fine.  The agent wants to see the book and is intrigued with the concept of the plot - a nice change from the agents who've liked my writing but didn't like the concept!  She thinks it has a built-in market, but the kicker is that she wants me to send the concept for my second book.  She jumped at it and said it would make an easy sell.  She liked my writing and says the second idea would actually be a hot sell right now.

So, no contract but didn't expect one.

And the attire was fine - one of the agents even commented on the cool skirt.  :)

Thanks for all your support and advice!

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party