[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:20 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:20 am

Tomorrow is the writer's conference with a couple of NY agents giving lectures and personal interviews.  I'm looking forward to the chance to pitch my book but woke up in the middle of the night thinking, "What am I going to say it's about?  What is it about?  It's a stupid book.  I'm not doing it!"

This morning, of course, I'm just back to the first worry - what will I say in three sentences that will tell them enough to be interested. 

I am also looking forward to the lecture sessions - since they are presented by the agents, it will be very interesting to hear what they have to say.

Question - what is appropriate attire for a conference?  Am I supposed to dress up since I will be interviewing with the agent or is more casual attire appropriate since it is a conferece? 

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Question about Writer's Conference Appropriate Attire

Postby jasipper » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:15 am

Linda Adams
Private E-2

Postby Linda Adams » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:21 am

Dress up. Business style clothes tell the agents you're here to do business. To give you an example of how much this makes a difference, I had to get proposals from two difference companies for some work that needed to be done. Company A showed up in polo shirts with the logo of the company and dockers. Company B showed up in ill-fitting jeans and a cartoon t-shirt. Which one would you want to do business with?

Jumbie
Lieutenant

Postby Jumbie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:15 am

To a certain extent, it will depend on where the conference is being held. But I do agree, you need to dress up more for meeting the agents/publishers than you would to attend the conference. If you look professional you will feel professional and that will come through to those you're meeting.

Good luck to you!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 am

My own rule is dress nice, but don't go overboard. Job interview attire is perfect. But you'd be amazed how many men seem to think they should dress like James Bond, and how many women think they should dress like they were going to walk down the red carpet at the Oscars.

On the other side, I've also seen men and women show up dressed for the annual Grunge-is Us Ball.

Dress nice, but dress so you're comfortable. If people stare, you went too far one way or the other.

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:51 am

The farther east the conference is held, the more formal your business attire might need to be, unless the conference specified "business casual" (whatever that is!) In California, people go to church in tennis togs.  I'd go with the business attire because you have appointments with other business persons, however you don't have to jump through hoops to please agents.  After all, you are hiring them if you get an offer.

I'm far more concerned about the apparent lack of preparation of your "elevator speech".  It should be so well-memorized by now that it trips off your tongue without you having to think about it. It's longer than a "high concept" and shorter than a summary or synopsis and definitely contains a "hook".

Camille
Private First Class

Postby Camille » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:35 am

Lisa, there's an article in WD March issue about that.  Pretty much says to dress like you're going to a job interview.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:20 pm

Good luck, Lisa!!

I agree with everyone on the business attire opinion. It is best to dress professionally, rather than artsy (as some writers might). My husband, who is an artist, went to a job interview in a shirt, tie & dress pants. They hired him, but the art faculty razzed him about being overdressed. Figures, huh?

As for not having your novel's synopsis in the "rolls right off your tongue" mode...relax. Any time someone asks me what my book is about, I cringe...to say a synopsis out loud sounds so silly, doesn't it? Just remember your key points & rattle 'em off! Once you start talking, I'm sure you will become comfortable in your novelist's hat.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party