[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing Contests? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing Contests?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
njm2006

Writing Contests?

Postby njm2006 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

njm2006

Writing Contests?

Postby njm2006 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

hey,

does anyone know of any great writing contests that are free to enter? i found one:

http://www.lifeforchange.com/life

but am looking for others!

thanks
-nancy

Sheri

RE: Writing Contests?

Postby Sheri » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Hi Nancy!

Welcome!

Do you subscribe to Writer's Digest? There are constant listings, in the mag., of different contests you can enter. Yes, some of them do cost ten or fifteen bucks but there are some that are free.

Go on the web and search for "free literary contests" or "free writer's contests." This tends to bring up quite a few of them as well.

Another thing you can do is contact your local Arts Council or Arts Comission (it's different in different places). They are normally non-profit organizations and I don't think I've spoken to anyone at any of them that hasn't been willing to help or dish out info. If they don't have any contests that are current, they are sure to have some listings of other free-of-charge contests that are going on.

What sort of writing do you do? Some contests are specific to genre. You might even try to do your search by adding that particular style in it. For example; free writer's contest, fantacy. (Horror, romance, non-fiction, etc.)

If I come across any of them that do not have an immediate deadline, I will come back to your post and list it for you.

Good luck!

Sheri

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:11 pm

njm2006

Postby njm2006 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:31 am

i don't subscribe, no.

i'm not really looking to write for these contests; i'm mostly looking to compare them. i doubt i could write my way off a square-wheeled skateboard. =) i have a few friends that are interested, but they have the research abilities of a drunk, two-toed salamander.

i haven't found any contests that keep going and going, though.

anyway, is there someone at writersdigest i should talk with about this? thank you!!

-nancy

njm2006

Postby njm2006 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 am

i think i hit the wrong reply button!

silly me.

-nancy

njm2006

Postby njm2006 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 am

now i know i definitely hit the wrong button. tee!

-nancy

gracie

Postby gracie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:16 am

I'm not really clear on what you want either. If you're just looking to compare contests, are you doing research for an article, or to help your friends? Just for fun? The Predators and Editors site does carry listings of some good contests that have stood the test of time. It also has listings of contests that are not on the up and up.

Return to Writers' Block Party