[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Waiting . . . : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Waiting . . .

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Laruuk
Private E-2

Waiting . . .

Postby Laruuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:33 am

Laruuk
Private E-2

Waiting . . .

Postby Laruuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:33 am

I submitted a short story to a genre magazine and am patiently waiting for their reply. The submission guidelines say that they are on a 5 week reply time frame. I'm halfway through that and trying not to attack the postman everytime he drives by my house.

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Waiting . . .

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 am

Well, if you succomb, you can always blame cabin fever.  Here in New Mexico, it's kinda hard to do that.  "I'm pleading insanity because the stinkin' March winds are already rattling the windows!"  Don't think it woudl fly.

My best advice is to get busy with something else.

Sometimes I'll send queries off, never hear, and mark them off my to do list as yet another editor who will only reply to queries they want.

Then three months later I get a reply and have to figure out what in the world it was even about.

It is very hard to put the waiting aside, but it really will drive you batty if you don't!

Laruuk
Private E-2

Postby Laruuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:15 am

I fully expect a rejection letter, and in the vein of Lisa's advice I am steadily hacking away at other writing projects.

I keep staring at the submission guidelines for the WD Contest. Not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into it or out of it . . .

I've got a four day weekend that starts tomorrow, and if I can put aside the Xbox for a couple hours, I should have a submission or two.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:47 am

Yes, waiting is bad, getting so busy on another project that you forget all about the ones you have out is good. And the bad news. You should always double expecting reporting time. If they say five weeks, you may have to wait at least ten. But not to worry, longer is usually better. Five weeks is for all those manuscripts they read one page of and then reject. The more they like a story, the more likely it is they'll set it aside for a second or third read.

Return to Writers' Block Party