[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Need help with plot point involving publishing process : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Need help with plot point involving publishing process

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
shevas
Private E-1

Postby shevas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:47 am

shevas
Private E-1

Postby shevas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:47 am

HI Everyone,

I need some help with a couple of plot points that involve the novel publishing process timeline and I'm having trouble getting info about this. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be laughed into the recycling bin!

My character has 4 novels published and is a close friend of his editor (major publisher). He has a book that is set to be released to bookstores in a few weeks. The character realizes the books need to shipped immediately. (Yes, its important that they are!) He convinces his editor to have the books shipped sooner, in a week. Could this be done?

Also,

1) Am I safe to assume the books would have by now been printed and are sitting in a warehouse?

2) How long would it normally take to push up a release date? Could this be done in a matter of days?

3) When does an author normally receive an advance on a new manuscript? Before he writes it, when he finishes it, or when the book is published?

Thanks for your help!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Need help with plot point involving publishing process

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:33 am

shevas
Private E-1

Postby shevas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 pm

Holy cow, thanks for that really great info, James. that really helps me so much. Now, I do have a backup plan, thankfully, but since I'm really stubborn and really want to use this, I want to find some way it could be done. Supposing it were so important that these books get relelased, say a matter of life or death. Could someone be bribed? Who? Could something be done illegally, or records changed? Any thoughts, even if its unreasonable, but within the realm of possibility?

Sheri
Private E-2

Postby Sheri » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:53 pm

Hey!

I am yet to be published and I am not a publisher, nor do I have a friend that is in the business.

But...

I do know that Stephen King has written novels under a different name (Richard Bachman). When two of his books were soon to be published - one under each name, he bargained(if you want to use that word) with the publishers that he would not allow one of them to go out before the other. It was simply like this...if they were going into print, they would have to come out on the exact same day or not at all.

He got his way.

I am sure that this had a lot to do with who he is and that being Stephen King surely gave him some pull (lots of it) but the whole situation goes to show that (since one was scheduled for book stores a good bit after the other) it is not at all impossible for an author to have some type of impact on these things.

By the way, the sad truth of it is (shame) there aren't many who cannot be bribed if the price is right. You can make this work.

Hope it all comes together for you!

Sheri

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:21 am

Return to Writers' Block Party