[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Creating a universal Guidelines Submission Template, defaults? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Creating a universal Guidelines Submission Template, defaults?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:00 am

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:00 am

Hello Pals,

I want to create a universally accepted submission template for short stores/novella's. I would like its default paramaters to be a summary of 90%+ of what most publishers/contests would request.

As some of you are much more experienced at this part of the process than I, could you help me fill out these guidelines? Maybe other viewers of the thread could hop up and help as all whittle this down till its in a "fits 90%+ submission guidelines requests" type of thing.

0. Title/Cover page Guidelines:
1. Font Name:
2. Font Size:
3. Left and Right Margins:
4. Header info?
5. Footer info?
6. Anything else I may have missed.

Thank you,
~Marcus:)

shevas

RE: Creating a universal Guidelines Submission Template, defaults?

Postby shevas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 am

marcus
I'm not really that experienced, but I've been looking for a home for a short story this past week, and have probably looked at 30-40 guidelines, and they all have differences. Their formatting guidelines also depend on whether they want it in the body of an email, as an attachment or printed.

I figured it would probably be easiest to first find a publisher, then format accordingly. I know, thats a pain. Generally though, I keep all my electronic documents in 12 pt Times, 1 inch margins, double spaced, cover page has name and address in upper left, word count on upper right.

Hope that helps?

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 am

For print submissions:

0. Title/Cover page Guidelines: Cover page only for contests or novels. Cover page needs only your name, contact information, and title of story. For rest of submissions, name and contact info upper left of first page, title centered halfway down, name/pseudonym under title.

1. Font Name: Courier for printpublishers Times New Roman for electronic publishers. Dark Courier is even better because it prints darker than regular Courier.

2. Font Size: 12

3. Left and Right Margins: one inch.

4. Header info?: One word from title, your last name, page number. Parachute/Ritchie/ pg 2
I always put this on the right side of the header.

5. Footer info?" None for fiction.

6. Anything else I may have missed: 1. Double space everything for print. Single space for most electronic publishers, with double-spacing between paragraphs. 2. For print, 25 lines per page is best, though no one will shoot you if you have 23 or 24.

This will satisfy 99.9999% of all print publishers, and better than 90% of all electronic publishers. The only other thing you really have to check with most e-publishers is whether they want your story as an attachement, or in the body of the e-mail.

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 am

alleycat
Private First Class

Postby alleycat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:11 pm

Mr. Ritchie covered most of what you need to know. I'll just add:

Indent paragraphs one-half inch.

Use # for section breaks within a chapter. Some people argue it should be ###.

Use an underline for words or phrases you wish to be italic when printed.

The last two can't put into your template but they're worth keeping in mind.

ac

Return to Writers' Block Party