[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
apply it to life at all? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

apply it to life at all?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
a jesterWOLF
Private E-1

apply it to life at all?

Postby a jesterWOLF » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:38 am

a jesterWOLF
Private E-1

apply it to life at all?

i was wondering if anyone else does this... sometimes when i want a character to do something, i do it myself so i know exactly how it feels ad can write it. like if they got slapped, i might ask someone to slap me or somerthing and other stuff like that. Or if they are really hungry i might not eat for a day or something. it is weird, i told my dad's GF and she said i was crazy...

a jesterWOLF
Private E-1

apply it to life at all?

i was wondering if anyone else does this... sometimes when i want a character to do something, i do it myself so i know exactly how it feels ad can write it. like if they got slapped, i might ask someone to slap me or somerthing and other stuff like that. Or if they are really hungry i might not eat for a day or something. it is weird, i told my dad's GF and she said i was crazy...

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

RE: apply it to life at all?

Postby entropy_happens » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Hmmm...can't say I've ever done that. I'm not brave enough to go without food for a day...hahaha. It must give pretty good insight as to how the situation feels, but it might be hard to separate your reaction to it from that of your character.
Lynne

a jesterWOLF
Private E-1

Postby a jesterWOLF » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:50 pm

well yeah that is true. Sometimes the character would act much differently in the situation, but once you have felt the situation your self, it seems easy to write what you felt with your character's reaction. i mean everyone will react differently to the same situation if you know what i mean.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:11 am

In one scene I wrote in my book, a man gets punched.  I've never been punched, and I certainly didn't plan to go through the experience to know exactly what it felt like.  (Imagine trying that philosophy if I'd killed my character?!)

What I did was post an excerpt and had extremely valuable advice from a forum member who used to box.  He described quite accurately what it was like, what the guy would've felt, etc.

I do believe there is a depth to writing from what "we know", but knowing the human condition well enough to describe it does not necessarily mean we've needed to go through every experience to describe it well.

Sheri
Private E-2

Postby Sheri » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:01 am

OUCH!

I surely hope you never write about a serial killer!

If I am writing about something that happens to one of my people, I can't say that I'd go to the trouble of trying to experience it just for that purpose-if I haven't already. In my opinion, that's what the imagination is for. It's there to help you create the experience, not go through it, and to me, writing is creating.

I do have to say that my writing sometimes reflects my own, personal life-experiences. Having actually gone through something similar to what your writing about can certainly help you along.

I would never do it on purpose though - unless it was something like... "Jane got a huge book contract and finally took that cruise she had been promising herself." LOL!

Best of luck to you!

Sheri

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 am

Actors do this. Some call it "Method acting". A guy name Stanislavski came up with it way back. Marlon Brando was considered one of he great method actors of his day.

Of course, the fallacy is that if you're doing it for the experience, it really isn't spontaneous and "real". But, I suppose it could help in some ways.

I prefer to live and write organically. Things will happen naturally and therefore will seem natural when you write them. But, everyone is different and has a different approach. So, hey if it works, keep it up! Just don't compromise yourself simply for an experience.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:52 am

Return to Writers' Block Party