First Time

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mushanaa

First Time

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:32 am

mushanaa

First Time

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:32 am

Hi everyone. This is my first time in a forum. I am excited to get to share my writing experiences and get inspired by yours. I have been enjoying writing for as long as I can remember. When my best friend died when I was 12 I decided to also keep a diary as a way of commicating with her and telling her about my crushes, heart aches and so on. Anyway I love writing romance and have had several short stories published. I am waiting to hear about my novel which I have been working on for ten years.
My first question is about writing software. I would like to purchase one and would like your recomendations. I struggle with keeping my chapters together and would like a writing software that somebody has used and it works. So much information for a first time. I will sign off now and look forward to hearing from you all.

Jumbie

RE: First Time

Postby Jumbie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:35 am

First, welcome to the forum. We're glad you decided to join our little group. Good luck on the novel.

In answer to your software question, I found a link with software comparison and reviews. http://creative-writing-software-review ... views.com/ 

There's a lot of it out there and a lot of information about it. I did my search for "story writing software" and had to wade through over a page of paid ads to get to this link.

Good surfing, good luck and welcome again.

joerector

Postby joerector » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:28 am

Hello and welcome! I hope your journey is a pleasant one. You have much to share with us if you have published stories already. What process did you go through in querying people? Give us the ups and downs.

As for software, you might check with your publisher or agent as to what they prefer. I've worked feverishly to put my book into Publisher, only to have folks demand it in some other format. If you're rich, splurge and buy Quark Express; that's what many of the big boys use.

Again, welcome! Share plenty and keep an open mind and a tough skin.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 am

Hey there! My publishers want everything in MS Word, but it probably isn't hard to format from a writing package into Word.

Your diary to your friend sounds like a lovely idea--and a great story--

Clare

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 am

I have Linux MEPIS which includes the OpenOffice office suite. I've found more and more that publishers want Rich Text Format (.rtf) files when you're sending them as attachments. OpenOffice is great and FREE and you can save in .doc and .rtf formats. Of course, you can do the same with Word, too. Either way, good luck!

mushanaa

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:03 pm

Thank you for the information. I am still figuring out how to use this forum. I will look up the link you sent me

mushanaa

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi Clare,
Thanks for the help. You know I hadn't thought of my diary thing being a story. I am going to find them and read them. Might get ideas. What do you write?

mushanaa

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:09 pm

Wow. I am getting so much help. Thanks. I will try the Office Suite one. What do you use it for? Do you write novels or for play scripts? I am excited to try them as long as I can covert it to word. Just want something that can help me organize as I don't write in order, kind of jump around. Thanks Josh

mushanaa

Articles

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for the information on software. I have only had one publication in this country for a romance magazine. It was my first article and I emailed it to the editor without having to send a query first. I sent two queries last month and the magazine sent all my stuff back without even a note so I don't have all that much experience with successful queries. I'll keep trying though. What type of writing do you do?

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party