[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
funny comment : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

funny comment

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Camille

funny comment

Postby Camille » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:38 pm

Camille

funny comment

Postby Camille » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:38 pm

While I was eating lunch in the teacher's lounge, I was whining about the usual subject - the synopsis from hell.  I may have brought up that I had to condense  around 400 pages onto one page ( ok, I did bring it up, but all the eraser tips in the teacher's lounge had been gnawed off and I was looking for sympathy) - and the bookkeeper said it wasn't possible.  I argued with her, but she said it was impossible to condense a 400 page novel onto one page.  It's amazing how many books are in the schools, grocery stores, Wal-Mart type places, bookstores and in our homes and few people actually know anything about what's envolved in the writing process. 

jmar2
Major General

RE: funny comment

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:26 am

That my dear, is why you are a writer: to do the impossible.

And just to show you how 'easy' it is, here's some examples of compression:

Mr. J. Ceasar, when asked for details about conquering yet another country said: "I came, I saw, I conquered."

Mr. A. Lincoln after sitting through two hours of a long winded speech got up and uttered his famous few words, "Four score and ..."

Oooh, and Mr. J. Marfink, don't forget him. He read your post and said, "Quit your bitchin'!".

You can do this. You really, really can. One suggestion: write a two sentence synopsis for each chapter. Then take all those and see what you get. Some chapters can be exempted and wat you have left will be the basis of your entire book synopsis: New girl in town, sees strange tree, classmate goes missing, she suspects tree, .... etc.

But main thought: You can do this. Your smart, you're a TEACHER! Let's see: you're a mom, you own a horse. Oh yes and you've a teen age daughter. Darlin' you can do anything!

John

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:33 am

You can do it. If I can do it, anybody can do it. Or as someone said here, "If George Bush can be president..." (I know we're not supposed to get political, but I found that comment so inspirational I took off in several different directions, now have several irons in the fire instead of just one, and feel like I can take on the world! LOL) :)

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:03 am

I also forgot to add a message to your bookkeeper. It was a funny comment as you said, particularly when you realize that she does the exact same thing with numbers. A bookkeeper takes the entire financial life of a company and reduces it to a single page of grosses and nets and debits and credits and assetts, and...

As Aspiring's quote said, then anybody can do anything.

Now, go away and lock yourself in the barn until you get it done! :)

Camille

Postby Camille » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 am

He's baaaack!  I knew my whining could bring John back from vacation.  Is that all ya got?  Does this synopsis make my butt look big?

bobkalsey
Sergeant First Class

Postby bobkalsey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:45 am

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:09 am

Robert! You ol' Chien you.   That's me, always late for the party.

Camille, you bet I'm back, and I'm watching you.

Camille

Postby Camille » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 am

* wets pants* - runs to bathroom.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:28 am

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party