[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Attention Highway Geeks! : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Attention Highway Geeks!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jmar2
Major General

RE: Attention Highway Geeks!

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:15 am

thanks James!

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:29 pm

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 am

Oh, I can't resist this Georganna, you made it too easy. :)

You mean your 'how-to' books aren't fiction?

hee hee.

And your advice wasn't wasted. I use many non-fiction sources in my research, hopefully it makes my stories more believable.

John

Blackheart
Private First Class

Postby Blackheart » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 am

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 am

Back to your original question... (really, you people get distracted so easily **shakes head in distain**  ;) )

I would write I-15 or US-80, or whatever the numbers and initials are. I think it's easier for the reader to understand.

And who are you calling a "highway geek"? We're just experts in a variety of areas who are unselfish enough to share our vast knowledge.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks Meddie. Geek is justy another word for so fascinated by the topic you become an expert on it. In theory if the good old government really had stuck to the original plan, you'd be able to travel anywhere without a map, just by knowing the numbering system. I forget which, but odds were to go only E/W and evens N/S, or vise-versa. Then the 295s style were looping one way around a city and the 495s another way. If I remember correctly then 600 series were to be cross connectors in one direction and the 80 series in the other, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, someone must have said, "But I like highway 37!" and that finished that.

John

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Most writers I've seen refer to interstate highways as "Interstate 70" or "I-70", as "St. Louis is a meeting spot for four major interstates: I-44, I-55, I-64 and I-70." Unless it's Route 66, I refer to U. S. highways as, for example, "I-64 is better known to St. Louis motorists as Highway 40." If it's a specific state route, I would include the state; for example, "Brio Yates lives near the junction of Illinois Highway 203 and I-270."

Unless you have an anal editor, I think this would be sufficient!

Charlie

Keep the beat goin'...

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party