[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Riding the Writing Roller Coaster : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Riding the Writing Roller Coaster

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:56 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:56 am

I just talked a little about this in another forum on here.

As writers, we experience an emotional roller coaster bordering on bipolarism. How do you handle "riding the writing roller coaster"?

How do you smooth out the emotional/mental/spiritual peaks and valleys as a writer? Do you? Can the writing valleys be just as valuable in some ways as the peaks?

Catherine
Lieutenant

RE: Riding the Writing Roller Coaster

Postby Catherine » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:38 am

Apparently we are suppose to weather the waves of the valley Josh.
Writers or not, we all experience them. We don't "smooth" them out.
We simply hold on for the ride.

As writers, it's only natural when we've reached
a pinnacle in our writing career, however small the actual peak,
to expect a valley, considering we have no place to go but down. That doesn't
mean we can't take away something constructive from the low points. I think
the most creative writers achieve their best work, sometimes, when they are at their lowest.
I know you've heard it before and it's a bit, well cheesy, I suppose, (for lack of better words)
But, the most beautiful, perfect diamond comes from having tons of pressure placed upon it.
And, how about this one; you could never enjoy cool, refreshing, lemonade, if it weren't for all the lemons. So, hold on to your hat and be careful not to waste the experience in the lowlands by wishing it away, anticipating another high peak. Remember, life is about the journey, not the destination,... (yeah, yeah, I know how that sounds...) Seriously, I mean it. Hang in there. It all comes full circle my friend.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:42 am

I think so. I find the valleys useful for refocusing. Just as with physical bipolarism, I find that the peaks tend to make my writing manic and sometimes rambling. The valleys make me stop and think about what I'm trying to say. It may start out with "Oh God, what a piece of crap.", but then I start to look at why I think that.

John

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:45 am

Awesome stuff, Catherine/John!

I feel this way, too. I feel like we can cheat ourselves by staying too close to our "line of reference". Life and art are so closely related that removing the peaks and valleys would be like telling a lie to ourselves and others through our writing...

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Maybe it's because I'm a Libra, but I strive for balance in my life.  I try to stick to an emotional mean.  Probably it comes from studying Zen philosophy, because I don't believe in astrology, having heard, "Hey, Baby, what's yer sign?" slurred in my direction too many times! Milking the highs and lows are just not worth the energy expended, in my particular case. Your mileage may vary.

JABarnes
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby JABarnes » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:40 pm

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:24 pm

I agree with John. Sometimes if I just want to write, I can't stop talking, and it sounds like rambling. The movie Secret Window comes to mind, when he says simply, "No...bad...writing!" and deletes his entire thing. Then again, at low points, I feel like I just can't even look at an empty page, much less fill it up. Usually that can be overcome by reading something I've written before, but if it's because of severe personal stress, sometimes I just wait it out.
Good luck!
Lynne

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:25 am

Great comments all.

I find that I actually stay pretty "level" most of the time, which allows me to write consistently. But, I eke out some of my most compelling prose when I'm in the throes of highs and lows. I know, that rhymed ;)

I really feel like you have to make everything count in writing as with anything else. Use whatever you can when you write to make it better and keep going. Turn everything into an opportunity to move forward and never stagnate. Pausing is a necessity sometimes as is the full speed ahead style. We just have to know when to do what and not let ourselves get sucked into doing too much or too little.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:28 am

I find it easier to ride the writing roller coaster here, with support/encouragement/inspiration from fellow writers who have been through similar situations. I've gotten a lot out of hearing of others' experiences, successes, trials and tribulations. My husband is a wonderful but practical man, so I don't get a lot of support on the writing front because it's not paying the bills right now. Instead I've gotten good advice and inspiration here, and now have several irons in the fire, and that's keeping me going. You guys are the greatest (again with the "guys" -- sorry -- you people are the greatest)!

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party