Screwball comic fiction

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
bongobro
Private E-2

Screwball comic fiction

Postby bongobro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:46 pm

bongobro
Private E-2

Screwball comic fiction

Postby bongobro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Has the screwball comic novel (the kind that Max Shulman and Patrick Dennis wrote so well) gone the way of manual typewriters and wringer washers? I've been working on a comic romance in which the main character is a middle-aged writer/musician whose world is turned upside down through a series of events that turn him into a "15-minute celebrity."

Most of the new best-selling fiction seems to be variations on Stephen King thrillers or Robert Ludlum mysteries. Or have such funny novels become part of the romance genre, in which case my "main dude" has to become a "dudette?"

Or am I jousting at windmills, like Don Quixote?

Charlie
Keep the beat goin'...

jmar2
Major General

RE: Screwball comic fiction

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:27 am

Well, I still enjoy reading them.  I suspect the catch is to find a publisher who still markets them.  I know I really missed the hard-boiled noir type trillers of the forties and fifties.  Now I see there is a new publishers who figured out the baby boomers just might be interested in buying this so they brough out a whole 'new' genre, good old-fashioned lurid pulp cover and everything.

John

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:07 am

I honestly don't know the answer, but my belief is that nothing ever really goes out of style or dies, it just goes into a deep slumber until the right writer comes along with a novel that wakes it up.

There was a time not so long ago when the western novel was considered dead and gone. Then Larry McMurtry wrote "Lonesome Dove." It hit the bestseller list, won the Pulitzer, a host of other awards, and made McMurtry very rich.

Publishable novels are often written because of what the market wants. Great novels are usually written because of what the writer wants.

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, James. Pun intended, I do march to my own beat and sometimes it isn't in step with everyone else's...

Charlie

Keep the beat goin'...

Return to Writers' Block Party