[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
YarnSpinner
Private First Class

RE: Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

Postby YarnSpinner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 am

Even though I write directly on a computer (laptop,now) I have to start a fiction or nonfiction project with a yellow pad and pencil. On it I scribble, ramble, cluster or bubble and roam all over the page in random blobs of squiggles. I've never been able to do that on a computer. It's the way I grow ideas into usuable structures and plots. This year I'm replacing the pencil with a pen. I think it keeps me more committed. It has to be a plain old yellow pad, though. A fancy hardcover journal would intimidate me, too.

marcus_u
Private First Class

RE: Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

Postby marcus_u » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:47 am

This is all so great, very inspriring.

So far fancy journals or those good ol 100 page black and white MEAD "Composition" notebook journals work best for me.

If its a fancy journal book with a hardcover I feel like whatever I put in it has to have that classic feel. The MEAD's work similar in feeling.

Plus on a first draft I just feel i need that feeling of "Where the hell is this story?"

and boom, there it is. In its own journal. I always know the whole story is there. Precision for editing comes later which is where computers reign supreme anyways.

Thanks pals,
~Marcus:)

wickedhppy
Private E-2

Postby wickedhppy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:53 pm

I have a notebook that I named "Ed the notebook" into which I have entered many rough drafts to projects. lately, I have been focusing on adding my handwritten work to the computer. I am compulsive about keeping copies. but i love writing it out first

April

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:34 pm

Fascinating question, bro.

If longhand works for you. go for it! I'm just not crazy about writer's cramp ;).

If I'm making notes on a character or a scene I'd like to include, I'll grab paper and pencil. However, since most of my writing is in little bits and pieces at the end of my day job or on the weekend, the computer is useful. Makes editing simpler, too. (Granted, there are always concerns about losing the ******* 'script, but that's why there are backup discs.)

And no, you're not crazy nutz: I'd rather bang my bongos and congas (hand percussion) than even think about usin' a drum machine (computer). Same idea, different medium...

Later!

Charlie
Keep the beat goin'...

cranberry
Private E-1

Postby cranberry » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Definitely not crazy! I also prefer longhand. In fact, I have been trying to compose at the computer lately and just can't be productive. I realized that in my effort to save time, I have been missing a process that I do enjoy. So today I'm going back to longhand and using the computer as a big ol' fancy typewriter. Sure, it may seem like an extra step, but if the writing flows more easily, then that's worth it to me.

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:24 am

What a cool thought referencing the bongos to the drum machine. Funny too as I'm a full time musician (who is exploring his writing more and more) and for recording I have to use electronics. Well the other day I was in the music store and after one slap on some Turkish Darbuka(sp?) drum - which looks like something out of a Star Wars Cantina scene - I looked at my watch and realized I had been playing for nearly two hours!!!

Needless to say yesterday I went up an bought me a $.99 cent Mead "COMPOSITION" book. You know the kind. 100 sheets/200 pages black with white speckled psychodelic cover.

:)

THanks for the great metaphor.

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:32 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 am

Writing in longhand definitely isn't an extra step for me. It would only be an extra step if I had the habit of submitting first drafts, or of only editing a second draft.

As it is, I'm going to go back to page one and write a second draft, anyway, so I may as well write it as I type the first draft into the computer. But by writing in longhand, the first draft is good, probably good enough to sell as is, so the second draft is even better.

I don;t believe at all in writing a really crappy first draft, and then trying to turn that crap into a good, well-polished story. Better a first draft that's already very good, so I can write a second draft that really shines.

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Hey, marcus: A bit off topic, but I've heard of djembes and dombeks (I have one of each as well as the congas and bongos)--never heard of a Darbuka drum...sounds like something I'll have to try myself.

Too bad we can't jam together (unless you live near St. Louis!)...

Interesting I'm working on a novel about a free-lance writer/drummer (see the post "Screwball comic novels" elsewhere in the Block Party).

Later!

Charlie
Keep the beat goin'...

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party