Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
marcus_u
Private First Class

Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

Postby marcus_u » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:03 am

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:03 am

Hello Pals,

The mechanical pencil and paper (preferably in a fancy hardcover journal) draws me to it. Other than the occasional sore hand, it feels, (gulp) fun! I feel like a kid again. I feel free. No ***** wires, no **** battery power concerns, no "wait did I do this half of it on the old desktop or the laptop, or should I use this machine or that machine, or "oh great what computer related drama is occuring today,"

Then there is the whole selection process of it all. Comps, alphasmarts, laptops, pda keyboards, ...

Do you feel it is just incredibly dumb dumb dumb for me to be writing the first draft on pencil and paper?

Thoughts, feelings, and opinions on this?

Thank you,
Marcus:)

No,

wrtrsblck
Private E-1

RE: Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

Postby wrtrsblck » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:29 am

It has taken me quite sometime to get used to writing all my drafts on the PC. It is my humble opinion that writing out your first draft longhand brings you closer to your writing and brings you back to the roots of writing itself. There were many great writers befor PC's, some even had to use *gasp* a typewriter. I think that it is really just a matter of what you are most comfortable doing. I say if you prefer the pencil and paper method, more power to ya! :)

bobkalsey
Sergeant First Class

RE: Q:Am I crazy,nutz, to write with pencil paper, then comp edit later? What should I do?

Postby bobkalsey » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:32 am

Roy Blount, Jr. once wrote:  "The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a word processor', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about drugs.'"

Use whatever works best for you.  I can't write with pencil and paper any longer (except for the sketchiest of notes), because I have become so accustomed to the computer.  I will confess that I even use the computer to compose notes that end up in hand-written form.

Over a year ago my wife gave me a very nice leather bound journal to write in.  To date there is not a mark in it, because I am intimidated by its elegance and beauty.  It seem sacrilegious to deface such a piece of art with my scratchings and my thoughts are insufficiently noble for the thing.  I fear that if I wrote in a fine journal by hand I would then consider my words too precious to rip apart and scratch out and revise -- and that is probably the most important part of writing.

wrdal1
Private E-2

Postby wrdal1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Well Marcus you are not crazy because I feel that writing with a pencil and paper does a lot a good. I believe it helps your ideas flow out smoother and then when you type then when you type it out, it is easier to edit it.

Pat

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm feeling alot better about this now.

I had just read so many things lately where all these writers say "use a word processor, use a word processor..." to infinity.

Thanks,
Marcus:)

Talis1
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Talis1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Not crazy at all. My first longer piece, a novella I wrote in school, was written completely by hand. I use my laptop now for all of my writing, though I have been known to brainstorm on paper or write out plot points for later. But, to be honest, I find my hand cramps if I write too much! I'm so used to typing now. And I have one of those split, ergonomic keyboards that make typing so comfortable...they're tough to get used to, but once you do, you won't go back to a regular keyboard!

Good luck with your writing!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:33 pm

Good grief, no, you're not a nut. Or if you are. then so are a great many other writers. I don't write in fancy journals, but I do write all my first drafts in longhand. Neil Gaiman does, as well. And Elmore Leonard. And many, many other well known writers. Stephen King even wrote the massive Dreamcatcher with a fountain pen.

And science is on your side. There's extremely good scientific evidence that writing in longhand is much more conducive to creativity than is working on a computer.

Use a pencil, use a pen, use a dip pen, steel or glass, use a goose feather quill. I've written with all of them.

Writing in longhand also puts you in the company of Shakespeare, Dickens, and Twain.

So write in longhand, be creative, and maybe drop in on this site every once in a while. http://www.pencilrevolution.com/

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:38 am

The pencil revolution site is totally cool!

Thanks,
~Marcus:)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:45 am

I figured James would speak up soon!

I, too, write longhand then type up a second draft. I find that my creativity flows best with pen in hand and my editing sense works best while crunching the text into my laptop. So, keep (hand)writing. It works for you and for many writers!

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party