[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing in "Rhyming" : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing in "Rhyming"

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
yudelka
Captain

Writing in "Rhyming"

Postby yudelka » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 am

yudelka
Captain

Writing in "Rhyming"

Postby yudelka » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 am

I've read in many children's publisher's websites that authors should stay away from "rhyme" unless of course the author is a poet or such.
I'm currently working on a rhyming story and I keep wondering about this. I've noticed this rhyming thingie is not - by far - as easy as I thought. I'm spending a lot of time with it, and it's really not very long.

Now, the publishing house I'm looking into right now doesn't mention the rhyming problem, and they'll take up to two mss to review. I figure I can send them my rhyme and another.
Do you guys think I should try sending them the rhyme. Of course, I think it's good. Of course, I think it rhymes-lol. Of course, I think it works. But really, what do you think?

Holiday
Private E-1

RE: Writing in "Rhyming"

Postby Holiday » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Kids love rhymes if they are fun and smart about it. Try it out on some kids. Most the time they will be honest even when you wish they would be polite and say it is nice. If they like it then you have your answer.

Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:43 pm

I totally agree, kids arent worried about hurting your feelings if they dont like it, they will tell you exactly what they think about it.  I, personally enjoy rhymes and I think having the kids listen to your work is a good idea, after all, they are the one that will be reading it.

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi, Yudelka!

The problem with writing and rhyming
Is more than a matter of timing
You have to maintain a smooth rhythm
Which is not always easy to maintain when you try to get a thought in there with 'em!

Not to mention "orange, silver and purple"--
Roger Miller had to use "maple surple"
To make his song lyrics rhyme
By then he'd run out of time.

I hate to say that my doggerel
Is the reason you got the inaugural
Warning not to write it in rhyme
Unless you're a poet...and I think I just proved my own point!

If you want to try the rhyming version, you may want to show it to someone who's familiar with poetry before submitting the manuscript. Otherwise, you may be trying to write a symphony when you're still learning the scales...

And the best of the best to you!

Charlie
Keep the beat goin'...

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party