[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Just reading submission guidelines hurts me, there MUST be a better way? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Just reading submission guidelines hurts me, there MUST be a better way?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:32 pm

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:32 pm

Hello friends,

After years of badgering from folks to put my writings public I have been getting serious about it now.

Prettying things up, turning long hand pencil pages into computer text etc.

Okay so I've got a bunch of short stories just about ready. Then I start reading these writers market, magazine market books. Argh! I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Chuck wants no name on the manuscript, Bob wants a name on the manuscript, and Lou wants you to wear green socks on Tuesday.

I mean is that what this industry is? The person better at submissions wins? Throughout history the great writers and musicians have never been all that at the administrative junk. We make them pay the price for their focus on the creativity and give the winner's circle to the hoop jumper?

Shouldn't it be us? As in we send one (our own) URL in an email that says "SUBMISSIONS my stuff! www.my......" in the subject.

They go there and simply say Yeah or Nay?

Argh!

I know I'm venting but I freaking out a little on this. I mean the submission work takes more than the writing? Its like one becomes a "Submissions Guidelines Analyst" as a priority to writing?

Ugh!

Roughly, I've got mostly young peoples/family Sci-Fi Short Stories. Usually under 1000 words. They are good. I'm making final edits. Before I even bother completing final edits I want to know:

Once its done, what the heck do I do with it?

Thanks,
~Marcus:)

Ben
Private First Class

RE: Just reading submission guidelines hurts me, there MUST be a better way?

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:13 am

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:18 am

Idon't think someone who writes is lazy. If they were they'd just picture stories in their mind and laugh out loud when they are funny. Then when folks come up and ask, hey, what are you laughing about? The lazy non-writer would just say, "Oh nothing."

:)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:26 am

If you think the submissions process is bad, ask Curious or JamesARitchie about the editing process. Writing is all about working your fingers to the marrow of the bone. Submissions standards are very varied and high to see just how hard writers will work to amke sure they meet specific standards. I guess that's one of the pluses and minuses of the information age.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:28 am

I'm just grateful we have word processors. Can you imagine retyping manuscripts? Ugh!

You're right, Marcus. I did the "laugh at nothing" thing for twenty years before writing down a story. It didn't make much money, but it worked for me....

Clare

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:34 am

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:46 am

Word Proce...

What's that. I'll have to look one of those up in the dictionary.

I've been using mechanical pencil and paper all these years and there has been a better way???

Oh wait. Perhaps we're talking about those things that I see people getting into knife fights over for electrical outlets at the cafe. Oh. Those things that just when the writer is writing their equivelent to "To be or not to be that is th..."

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Laptop battery failure eminent, Laptop battery fail..."

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepeeeooooww

:):):)

Just some humor for the remains of the day

marcus_u
Private First Class

Postby marcus_u » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:48 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:53 am

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party