[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tenacity and Writing : Writers' Block Party • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tenacity and Writing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Georganna
Brigadier General

RE: Tenacity and Writing

Postby Georganna » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm

As I said, the expectation is not FAILURE, it is to SUCEED in acquiring a number of rejection slips as quickly as possible in order to overcome the negative feelings they engender.  Getting rejection slips is usually an easy task for a writing neophyte.  It's unrealistic to expect to begin with acceptances.  I've probably known more beginners in the 40+ years I've been involved with writing and publishing than many others ever will.  I've lived in most all parts of this country and been exposed to many writing groups, classes, conferences, etc., all with different people.  The most persistent whine is about dealing with rejection.

When I was working on my Master of Science degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, part of the curriculum involved training and development (teaching in the business world).  I was a member of the American Society for Training and Development for a few years, attending many workshops and seminars, learning to be a trainer of trainers.  One aspect they drummed into us was to set up our trainees for success.  Small successes, easy successes at first, before tackling whatever the big job might be.  To my mind, the big job of writers is to get acceptances.  The small steps begin with finishing mss., submitting them, and dealing with rejection slips. 

Admittedly this differs from the artificial environment of schools where children's livlihood is not dependent on their performance and everyone gets a ribbon on awards day.  "Best Smile" and "Most Improved" just don't make it in the adult world of business.  Success as a writer, especially a freelance, means performing as a business.  That is the attitude with which I teach.  I also use 'being paid for writing' as the criterion for success.

Your mileage will most certainly vary.

Holiday
Private E-1

Postby Holiday » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:54 pm

queenb

Postby queenb » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:32 am

wrtrsblck

Postby wrtrsblck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:44 am

[QUOTE]queenb - 2006-02-11 10:32 AM

[QUOTE]

I look at my lack of confidence like this, if George Bush can be President (Sorry for all those George Bush fans), I can write.

OMG!!!! I couldn't agree more. The difference between us and ol' "W" is that he has someone up his ass 24/7 telling him how smart he is. Would you want that job? I don't think I could keep a straight face everyday!! I write because at the end of the day it makes me feel good. Writing gives me passion and purpose. It also helps me to keep my brain muscle strong and active!!

DonnaReed

Postby DonnaReed » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, I associate "tenacity" with stuborness, and it seems that some posts are adressing more along the lines of perseverance and/or being consistent and/or persistent. Perhaps it's a combination of all four.

At any rate, as a "newbie" or "neophyte" who has never been published, I'm open to ideas.

I began writing my memoirs on February 1, of last year and set a deadline for myself to submit a proposal and sample chapters to an agent within a year, and I did just that - the second week of February this year.

Often times, during the year, I only had ten or fifteen minutes of time to write. Other times, I pulled all nighters - I wrote all night then showered and went on to work.

But I made it happen.

Speaking of making it happen - I sent my proposal to an agency, one that has many well-know writers as clients, and I believe in myself and my project enough so that (ya dayum skippy) I EXPECT that they'll love my project and be happy to work with me, and that I will hear from soon so that they can tell me so.

I'm not even dealing with what IF they don't, because I expect they will...*smile*

I don't cross "what if" bridges. I cross the ones I actually encounter.

I've certainly dealt with rejection. It's part of life in any worthwhile endeavors. At least, it has been part of mine.

But I've had many more wins then rejections.

It ain't even about others believing in me, it's about me believing in myself.

My time and my life is valuable and IF I'm playing (anything or whatever...) I'm playing to WIN.

Yeeup...

I'm confident

I'm a winner!

I will NOT lose.

That's where I am right now.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:42 am

I do agree that positivity is directly related. You've all said volumes, literally ;)

Thanks for all the comments!

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party