[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tenacity and Writing : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tenacity and Writing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Tenacity and Writing

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:57 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks, Josh. You're right.

And on the other note, pizza and coffee, it's amazing what keeps us going...

WritingAsTylerDavey

Postby WritingAsTylerDavey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 am

I'm not sure if self-confidence and tenacity are the same thing.

One can have brutal self-confidence, yet still have the tenacity to write every day and keep trying to submit their work, all the while doubting one's abilities.

On the flip side, one can have amazing self-confidence, yet not have the tenacity to write every day (or even once a week).

I border on the later side. I get into spells. I'll go for two months where I write almost every day. Then "something" comes up. And that "something" ends up spaning a month or two before I find my chair and firmly plant my arse in it and swear I won't move until I finish at least x amount of words. Then my groove comes back, and I take off.

For writer's, the easiest thing to do is "put it off till tomorrow". The hardest thing to do is practice (apologies, James) "BIC - Butt in Chair" consistently. Self-confidence may be an underlying argument against BIC, but I find that "life" is my underlying argument against BIC. To battle "life" I tell it to piss off for a few hours. Luckily my wife doesn't mind.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:30 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:02 am

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Ah, I see some people just don't get it.  Newbies already want to get ten acceptances and right away.  Instead come rejections, and they become discouraged, depressed, and often angry.  I tell them that rejections are just part of the writing life, and the sooner they get used to them, the better.  The goal is not to fail!  Failing would be not learning how to write a query, never submitting.  The stumbling block is getting over the fear of rejection.

I don't know if I have received ten rejections (well, yes, if you count the seven for a novel) in my career, but I caught on fast, had great training, and I was in the right place, prepared, at the right time (sometimes called "luck").)

Another point I make is that you're sure to fail if you quit trying.  So, Joshua is on the right track, tenacity goes a long way in bringing about success in writing.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:55 pm

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:57 pm

I don't want to get too involved in a cyber-battle, but I must express my opinion.

I consider myself a "newbie," as I have just begun querying agents. I am offended that anyone thinks all new writers "already want to get ten acceptances and right away. Instead come rejections, and they become discouraged, depressed, and often angry." I cannot describe how offended I am this is anyone's assumption.

First, I am a grown woman with a life outside my writing. The only individual's whose opinions matter to me in this world include my husband, my son and my parents. Granted, getting kudos from outsiders is fantastic, but to become "discouraged, depressed or angry" is simply ridiculous.

Second, I am a professional. I mean this in the sense that I utilize my time effectively, I write as often as I can, I do my research (for both my writing and the "business" aspect of the profession). As a professional, it will not bode well for my career if I cry and throw a hissy fit upon receiving a rejection. Besides that, it has never crossed my mind to do so.

It sickens me to think anyone believes being a "newbie" = being unprofessional. That is the message in Georganna's explanation of what she meant by her original comment.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:28 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:22 am

Wow!

Sorry, ddn't mean for this to go this way, really.

If I might bear an olive branch...

I think Georganna was just trying to offer a tool to her students to improve their queries and work. If you get a rejection or two with some good comments, you can use the comments to improve your work.

While the goal should never be getting rejected, sometimes they might teach a writer a valuable lesson.

I've been rejected at least ten times; probably closer to 20. But, I keep going and I keep getting closer.

I just think someone who can perservere in the face of rejection shows character. One who can improve and gain ground shows skill and proves he or she can learn.

I've gotten discouraged before, I've even been on the verge of tears, but I've always shaken it off and kept going. That's part of the life of writing. I hope tenacity prevails for all of us!

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party