[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tenacity and Writing : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tenacity and Writing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jasipper
Brigadier General

Tenacity and Writing

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:25 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Tenacity and Writing

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:25 am

A loss of confidence in one's own writing seems to be one of the biggest obstacles in the writer's world. I was wondering how you all keep your chins up in the face of rejections, difficulties, and your own loss of confidence?

I use the "I write because" method. I write because:

1) I love it
2) I'm good at it
3) I want to share myself
4) I want to teach and learn

etc.

There are other methods I use, too. How do you keep going?

Aspiring
Lieutenant

RE: Tenacity and Writing

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 am

I'll be interested to see what people say here because I am not keeping my chin up lately. I joined this forum because my initial question to myself was "how do you know when you just don't have it and it's time to let it go?" I will always keep writing, it's in my nature, but I don't know if I will keep pursuing agents in the hope of getting my novel published. I am quite stilted lately, unable to write anything well, and in awe of some of you who are so darned impressive. I did get one rather negative comment here though just yesterday, which made me want to keep at it if only to say to this person that I can. I guess that's my answer for the moment: discussions with fellow writers here, seeing their ups and downs and hearing about the successes, is keeping me going for the moment. You're a good group and I enjoy being part of it, and that will keep me going for a while until I regain the confidence to press on.

Jumbie
Lieutenant

Postby Jumbie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:09 am

I think that having my writing validated has helped me. My family has always been supportive, and they almost don't count - not in the validation sense. But to have published authors tell me they like my writing and my style has been a big boost for me. I've been able to get that in three ways:

1. Having people here critique my work

2. Joining a critique group with both published and unpublished authors as members

3. Joining a writer's group with both published and unpublished members.

I don't have to write to be happy, but I'm happiest when I write. So I'll keep at it.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:11 am

A very wise old woman once told me something that has helped me in times of discouragement.  When I was questioning my own ability as a young girl, she scolded me and told me that it was wrong to spit on a gift.  I tell my children her same words: that having a talent is a gift.  Not everyone is given the same gifts, but it is each individual's responsibility to recognize their gifts and make the most of them.

When I am discouraged about my writing and begin to doubt my ability (which has happened a lot lately), I remind myself that my writing is a gift and that I have an obligation to do my best with it.

Maybe I won't ever write a best-seller.  Maybe I won't even write a seller.  But I can continue to write to the best of my ability, whatever that is. 

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:59 am

Wow!

Y'all are inspirational. If you were to ask someone who really knows me about the one personal attribute I have, they would undoubtedly say, "Unbridled confidence."

It's that confidence that makes me keep going. I don't doubt, I don't shake or worry, I just keep going.

Robin's exhortation of "Keep writing!" serves us well. I hate to see anyone quit. When a writer stops writing, I feel like a funeral should be held. Stay alive, writers!

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:11 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:15 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 am

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:45 am

I hide from adversity... I haven't submitted anything for publication since eighth grade... so I don't know if you can say I deal with difficulties well. But sometimes people tell me, "You shouldn't be a writer. Writers don't make money. It's not a role that benefits the community. Be an accountant." (These people almost inadvertantly tell me to go into accounting, which is amusing since no one who knows me would want me doing their taxes. I'm terrible with numbers.) And when they say that, I just become more determined to prove them wrong. I tell people I don't want to be famous, but the truth is I'm striving for the top. It means a lot to me to know my writing is making an impact somewhere, on someone, even one person. Books bring me to tears and send me into an emotional whirlwind, and I want to give that to people. So when I'm feeling unconfident or depressed about my future, I ask myself, "Would I be happy doing anything else?" and the answer is always "no way!" So that's how I deal with it: rationale. ;)

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party