[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Appropriate? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Appropriate?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Appropriate?

Postby touchstone » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:17 am

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Appropriate?

Postby touchstone » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:17 am

Just a general question - I have a story set in Vermont, and I've picked out the city and even the school my characters attend. However, I was wondering if it is inappropriate to use an actual school as a setting. The teachers and students will all be made up, so the actual staff are not involved. It feels strange to me. Should I make up a new town, or at least a new school, or is it okay to just continue on?

Thank you for your comments.

Jumbie

RE: Appropriate?

Postby Jumbie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:35 am

Not sure if it would be appropriate. Maybe you could contact the School Board and find out if they would object. It might depend on what you are planning to have happen there. If you're going to have drugs or shootings, they may not want that thought affiliated with the name of their school. If it's all good, they might not mind.

Catherine
Lieutenant

Postby Catherine » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:00 am

Calling the school board is a good idea.
Also, you could add a twist to the original name.
Example, if the school is named Westside Jr. High,
you could play with the wording; Westwood Jr.High, Westside Middle, Westwalk Jr.High, etc.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:07 pm

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:05 am

Yes, I believe you're all right. I think I'm going to take the easy route and just make up a new school. I'm going to keep it in the same town though. I don't think it that will be a problem; people are always using towns like Chicago, so a little place like Middlebury shouldn't be a problem either. But I'm too shy to contact the school board, especially since I have no guarantee that this story is going anywhere.

Thanks a bushel and peck for all your comments. This is why I loooooooooove this community!

Return to Writers' Block Party