half-finished book from India

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
sid
Private E-1

Postby sid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 am

sid
Private E-1

Postby sid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 am

Hello. You know I did a straight 5 hrs of internet today, so I'll get straight down to the topic. And try and get some sleep. I am a writer from India, who learnt all about writing writing short stories. Short to comparatively longer, more discriptive stories, then from moved from style to substance. And then to the fine balance between the two, as every great talks about.

I sat down one day writing about my town, a little town in Himachal, a hilly state in India, and, I realised I was writing about my school days. The wonderful school days. A school founded by a Britisher in mid 1800's. I found myself writing abou the conflict of the youth, about the sexual awakening, about the consciousness of a responsible life ahead, about being left there alone, to fight the world, battling with the giants, into the hard, hard world. The story was about the crazy age when one's not a bay and not yet a man.

I sat down and I realised that I'd written half of the book in less than a month. And it is turning out really well. I showed it to some of the friends I respect as having a great opinion, and are writers themselves.

Now I want to know if 1 month is practical, is it normal. Should I hurry and shoot across the sample stories across to the publisher and a short synopsis, or should I complete the novel. I am pretty clear about its ending, so I thought I'd use the time the publisher takes to go through my work, I can complete the manuscript, so when I get a call I have the manuscript ready.

As far as I am concerned I'm quite happy with teh story so far.

I'd like your replies to this thread.

Thanks for reading, Sid.

Aspiring

RE: half-finished book from India

Postby Aspiring » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:24 pm

It's my understanding based on everything I've researched since completing my novel that it is best to have the manuscript complete before approaching anyone, agent or publisher, about publishing it.

BTW, My roommate when I was in graduate school, one of my favorite people in all the world, is from India. She calls me whenever she's in the States visiting her sister, which isn't often enough, and I miss her dearly.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Sid, one month isn't abnormal if you're really excited about a project. Keep those creative juices flowing!

If you already have contact with an editor you like and work with, I'd let that editor know what's going on. Otherwise, I'd finish and polish the story. The thread about finishing novels or not before querying publishers and agents has been hashed out here already a couple of times, so you might want to go back through and look for it. It will make thought-provoking reading. But the upshot of those threads is that the veterans here sided with established wisdom: it's important to have your best ready to show to editors and agents, and that means finishing, reading over, revising, etc., before shipping the query letter out the door.

Clare

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:23 am

I'd suggest finishing the book before you send it off. You never know what's going to change in that crucial second half of your story that might even make your query more appealing to the editor. And writing it in one month - good for you! I'm overwhelmed if I can just write 10 pages in a single day.

And keep us updated on your progress! Just reading your description of your story makes me want to read it. I anticipate a great new book!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 am

Most agents want a word count so they know what they're dealing with.  It's hard to do this without the book finished.

Return to Writers' Block Party