[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Must Read : Writers' Block Party • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Must Read

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Curious
Lieutenant

RE: Must Read

Postby Curious » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 am

Hey,

I can also speak to the fact that it's easy to misconstrue online comments. I even came close to losing a very dear friend due to an online conversation we had once. We try to not communicate that way anymore with each other. But, I've learned to be less sensitive to comments as well.

I know for a fact that Georganna is helpful and skilled. She has responded several times to my questions and difficulties and I appreciate it. She was honestly just presenting some information that is helpful as a warning against assumptions that getting published will be easy. I know it's hard from experience. I've been working hard toward publication for two long years and am finally getting somewhere!

Much of that is due to the help I've received here, though and I really appreciate it!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:19 am

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:54 am

You're right, Cindy! I miss James, too!

Clare

wrtrsblck
Private E-1

Postby wrtrsblck » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:02 am

"Just as any visual, performing, or other artist desires wide-spread self-expression, I want to butter the toast of the world with my words. I just need to churn it a little more first."

I love that phrase! I don't think that all feedback has to be negative when a person is sharing there writing with others. Personally, I find it very difficult to share because writing is such a personal journey for me. I think that aspiring writers should be realistic about their expectation when actively pursuing a career, but I don't think that we as writers need to crush each other on our way up.

We can criticize each others work without being critical.

Christy

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:56 am

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:03 am

Can you actually sell "ideas"? I need a few bucks to hold me until I win the lottery. Make me an offer.

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:08 am

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 am

I like debating, too. Believe it or not, I don't get to discuss writing as much as I'd like, except with you guys and my editor. My family doesn't want to hear it!

It's not that I think WD shouldn't encourage writers to publish, it's that I don't think publishing is the end-all. Writing is in itself a wonderful thing, but I know several amateurs who are so discouraged about it. They can't see how much they've accomplished by getting their stories on paper. All they can think about is that last rejection letter--and the next one. I don't know too many other fields where amateurs feel this awful. My husband loves photography, and when he takes a great shot, he doesn't sigh about the fact that it's not in Arizona Highways. Sure, he'd like to publish a photo or two, but he's able to enjoy what he's done.

Clare

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party