[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Must Read : Writers' Block Party • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Must Read

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Camille
Private First Class

RE: Must Read

Postby Camille » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm

...and furthermore (ha! You didn't shut me up in time!).  Who do you think is going to buy the "how to" books?  Not the author who has published many books and has adoring fans!  We are, the novices on the forum! 

Catherine
Lieutenant

Postby Catherine » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Georganna, I don't wish to drag this out but I want to address something you said.

"I do detest snipers who take potshots and run away, so I guess I'd better respond. "

I don't hate you nor detest you. I am simply of a different opinon than you.
As for "running away", well this is a forum to post advice, ideas, opinions, etc. It's not a chat room.
So, I don't know of any other way to put an opinion on here. I am not running away. I'm a registered member who posts here often. I've had my opinions brought into question and have questioned others.
I'm sorry if you feel I am one who took a potshot at you. I didn't call you a name. I felt defensive when you called me a panty waist. I feel I should be allowed to give my opinion just as you did yours. For me, it's really nothing more than a difference of opinion. I don't know you well enough to detest you. I can even respect your right to express your opinion. I think we writers, published or not, are passionate about our craft. That includes all of us.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 pm

Oh, I thought Georganna meant that she didn't want to be in the position of taking a potshot and running away (therefore putting herself in a role she dislikes in others). So she was coming back to continue the discussion. That seems perfectly reasonable, no?

Clare

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:40 pm

As a newbie, I take offense at Georganna's panty-waist comment as well as her later attempt to defend it. The rest of us seem to be here with all good intentions to ask questions, advise where we can, support each other, seek encouragement and share success stories. Why else would one join a forum of this nature?

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Yes, Curious, you have it right.  I try to model what I teach others.  I'm a strong believer in self-responsibility. 

Actually, I haven't called anybody (by name) anything, have I?  Just as I have not specifically discouraged anyone from attempting a career as a writer or writing a book or trying to get it published.

If someone feels discouraged by the facts that I've posted, maybe that is a beneficial event. How much better it is to have a realistic vision of what you're getting into, IMHO.  If my posts offend some, they don't have to read them.  If they do read and feel bad, that's a result of something they've told themselves about what they read, not a result of what I wrote. 

This thread has been a magnificent insight into how many ways thoughts expressed can be misinterpreted.  BTW, did anyone look up the definition of pantywaist?  I was amused to find it generally means (in the US) sissy, because one of my favorite writing resources is romance writer Stephanie Bond's article "Sissies Need Not Apply".  It's a realistic look at the writing life and how difficult it is.  I had inadvertently snatched the perfect metaphor out of the air.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:03 pm

The pity about email, forums, etc. is that the written word can be so misconstrued based on individual interpretation, creating a wide range of reactions and feelings.

There's a saying I try to live by:  It's not what's said, it's what's heard.  (Or in this case - what's read.)

When I realize that something I've written has been misunderstood to the point of offending someone else - even if it is a result of their misinterpretation rather than a result of my ill intent - I apologize, just as I did to you above.

It's amazing how many feathers it can unruffle.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:05 pm

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Camille
Private First Class

Postby Camille » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:26 pm