[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Must Read : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Must Read

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Georganna
Brigadier General

Must Read

Postby Georganna » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:22 pm

Georganna
Brigadier General

Must Read

Postby Georganna » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:22 pm

I think everyone, especially the newbies, should read Caitlin Kelly's article, "Reality Check", in the new issue of WD.  You can see it online at:

http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/kelly_reality.asp

I'd title it something like "The Long Road from Writer to Author".  It is indeed the reality check for all who aspire to have a book published.  And this person is writing the all-popular non-fiction! How much more difficult it is for novels!

The only question I have is how she managed to sell a debut book without having already written it.  If I read the article correctly, she and an agent sold the idea, perhaps the "high concept" (women and guns), before she'd written any of it.  I suspect she has weighty credentials as a journalist, and still it took 7 or 8 years to get this book going!

So, will all the hand-holding panty-waists who object to those of us who tell the hard truths about writing and getting published, please go chase a rainbow? Obviously Writer's Digest supports telling it like it is.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Must Read

Postby abqwriter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 pm

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:44 pm

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:58 am

*Raising my hand* "Oooooo, I do! I need validation! Could someone please validate my book? I'm double-spaced..."

OK, yes, I agree that writing for the love of it is first and foremost. I think being published will always have that pull, though. As writers, we don't simply desire to express ourselve, we want desperately (or at least I do) to express ourselves to other people. Publication allows that on a massive scale.

I believe in my writing. I think it would be meaningful and beautiful to many other people. So, I want as many people as possible to see it and appreciate it.

Just as any visual, performing, or other artist desires wide-spread self-expression, I want to butter the toast of the world with my words. I just need to churn it a little more first. ;)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 am

Clare - thank you for stating it so well.  Very few people who make the effort to search out writing sites and find this forum are naive about the statistics of who gets published and who doesn't.  We come here because we want a cyber community of people interested in writing.  Here, we're able to have long, extended discussions about nuances of grammar, writing styles, and writers that would only serve to bore our family and friends to tears.

I have no truck with being candid about the difficulties of being published, but I take a lot of issue with dashing another visitor's hopes to pieces based on my opinion.

If I had believed that those statistics applied to me, I would have never sent out a query letter to an editor five years ago.  I was one of those rare oddities that gets a purchase off their first query.  So I know that there are chances of beating the odds. 

I just refuse to be the one to discourage others from testing the waters to see if they, too, will beat the odds.  They'll decide on their own when they've expended too much energy, time and money into their own pursuit of their own goals and dreams.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:02 am

I also agree with Lisa and Clare. I think most people who regularly frequent this column do so partly because they are 'panty-waists'. (I can't find mine either Cindy. )

We want a place we can be ourselves in, where we can say "You know, this sounds really dumb but can I do this..." We also want to enjoy the honest comments from fellow writers, instead of just the "Oh yeah, Mom. You rock." And we also seek the professional guidance and suggestions and HELP from the comma experts, the grammarians, the infrequently published and the career writers one finds here. That's the best of the forum in my opinion. The fact that everyone, even the really critical leelee never writes: "Go back to your day job". Everything here is encouraging. Even Georganna's comments are encouraging, at least if you interpet them the way I did. She's reminding everyone of the dark side of the writing force. ( Sorry Darth ) There's nothing wrong with that, it helps us keep one foot firmly planted. We can still leap in the sunshine and we can still dream, even if we are panty-waists. ( I wonder if suspenders would make me a progessional writer? )

OK, done rambling. Where's the doughnuts? If my waist is disappearing, I might as well finish the job.

John

WritingAsTylerDavey

Postby WritingAsTylerDavey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:05 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:26 am

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party