[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Conversion of manuscript to actual printed page... : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Conversion of manuscript to actual printed page...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to figure out the number of pages one's manuscript will convert to once it is published as an actual book (i.e. hardcover novel, mass paperback and quality paperback)?

For example, If I have a 508 page, double-spaced manuscript printed on 8.5 x 11 pages, what does this convert to? Or, is does it make sense if I say I have a 104,000 word manuscript...how many pages of an actual book will this be?

Does this make sense? If not, tell me & I'll clarify my question.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Conversion of manuscript to actual printed page...

Postby abqwriter » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 am

If you do a search (top left button on screen) and type in calculating word count, you'll find an entire thread that gave advice on how to calculate word count.

When I send in my queries, I just use the word-count amount that shows up on the word count tool in Word.

By the way, that's a lotta words!

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:01 am

I wondered if my ms was absurd (word count wise, I mean), so I used the Text Stats listed on Amazon.com to get an idea what my fellow writers are putting out there. I am between Elizabeth Berg and Alice Hoffman so I don't feel too crazy. Ha, ha.

I love Text Stats, has anyone used it?

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:23 am

Well, now I'm worried. My novel is 127,625 words. Think no one will look at it cause it's too long?

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 am

I don't think a book should be judged by its word count. I have read truly profound short works (i.e. Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper, Steinbeck's The Pearl) and of course there are the longer pieces of note (i.e. Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True) that I find fascinating.

Write on, I say!!

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:12 am

deedee1
Corporal

Postby deedee1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am

The number of book pages your manuscript will produce is determined by the dimensions of your book, the font size and type you choose, and the decisions you make about page layout and overall product design. (Will you start every chapter on the right-hand side page? Will you place a blank page between sections? How much front and back matter will be included?) The book I'm working on right now contains about 250 words per page. It's a 6 X 9. My publisher prints books that run anywhere from 250-350 words per page.

I hope that helps.

P.S. Five hundred and eight pages is quite ambitious for a first book. Be prepared to undergo some cutting. And remember that you will have to read those pages many times during the proofing process. I've had to proofread my manuscript four times since I sent it to the publisher, and each time I've found errors. If you still love every word of your story after you've read it through a dozen or more times, then your page volume won't likely be an issue.

Diana
www.DianaEstill.com

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:13 am

I didn't set out to write a 104,000-word novel. I didn't really set out to write a novel. I know it will be difficult to cut parts of it out, but I also know it is the reality of the situation.

Heck, if a publisher is willing to believe in the work enough to ask me to proof it again & again & edit it to death to have it published, I'll feel blessed. I feel blessed and I'll feel pumped up on a lot of coffee, I imagine. :)

Thanks for your input--it helps a lot!!

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party