[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Severe Writer's Block : Writers' Block Party • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Severe Writer's Block

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Aspiring

RE: Severe Writer's Block

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 am

Clare, I don't mind the "I, I, I," because it's so helpful to see what others have been through, especially someone who is as far along as you are. I take constructice criticism well and I can learn from others' experiences. In fact, maybe I'll take that interesting tidbit that your publisher was not interested in the series at first and allow myself to digress to another idea altogether.

Perhaps "series" isn't the right word. One book would not necessarily have to follow another (although minor points like characters' ages would progress in sequence). The books will be able to stand alone for each separate story. It's more like the same characters getting into new situations/mysteries, like Alex Cross or Nancy Drew for that matter.

Thanks for the insight.
Susan

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:59 am

Okay, maybe it's semantics. Instead of calling it "writer's block" how about "writing crap" because I feel like I haven't been able to write anything half-way decent or meaningful since I completed the novel. Yes, I'm writing, but it's dribble. I would also tend to disagree that it's the advent of the Internet that brought out the terminology. Many of us -- fellow writers I knew 20 years ago in school -- experienced and referred to "writer's block" while at the time we were not too familiar with the Internet. I might even go so far as to say that it's the Internet that helps overcome the state I previously referred to as "writer's block" because of places like this where we can kick around ideas and offer each other encouragement and get reinspired. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments I've received here because they've provided me a different perspective on my work. Thanks, all!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:10 am

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 am

Back in the saddle, so to speak.

I took some of the advice received here, and started drafting an essay, wondering away from the fiction I've been obsessing over for some time. While the essay is a bit trite, writing it is keeping the old juices flowing, and I do feel rejuvinated. I'm going to take another bit of advice I received here and start brainstorming titles which may further the ideas I already have enough to make a viable story. Thanks to all you creative people who took the time to offer your words of wisdom. You've really been helping me along and I hope what goes around, comes around: you all deserve the best! Thank you.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 am

When I am momentarily stuck, (believe me it's both a curse and a blessing), I'll write a letter to someone.  I find that works the kinks out.  My Congressman, the Honorable Virgil Goode of the 5th district of Viriginia, has no idea of how helpful he's been.

John

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:54 am

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:57 am

Well sure!  Gives me a chance to practice my tenses too, as in telling him I'm not going to vote for him because he IS voting or DID vote, etc.  I even received a nice note back from him once.

He said he enjoyed my correspondence, because it was always, 'original'.  I think that was a compliment, but I never asked.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 am

I don't know, John - when a politician tells you that you're original... not so sure... but keep writing away.  It's probably a good thing to be a thorn in the side of ANY politician!  :)

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 am

I love this idea! There's enough going on in my town's little local politics to get quite emotionally involved in letter writing, and that could be just the thing to get that sense of emotional investment back in general. Wow! Who or what could I take on to get started... :)

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party