[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Severe Writer's Block : Writers' Block Party • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Severe Writer's Block

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Severe Writer's Block

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:55 am

Thank you for that interesting explanation. As a matter of fact, my idea for another novel (not included in the series I envisioned with the first novel) would involve a mental patient, so you may have given me more food for thought than you know.

In any case, you are quite right: I am suffering from a lack of confidence, but working to get back on track with all the ideas that have come up here. I think the blank page overwhelms me, especially after completing such a huge undertaking as the first novel. I am intimidated by the idea of committing to one idea and seeing it all the way through, however, it's time I stopped wollowing in feelings of inadequacy and get back to it.

Your comments have helped put things into perspective. Thanks.

RightersBlok
Private E-1

Postby RightersBlok » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm fighting with the time-with-family issue myself. I was scared that my kids would see my writing as evil and lose respect for the time I need. To combat that, I like to write for them too. A silly little kid's story, written just for them changes their attitude. It's fun too!

I agree that writer's block is only as bad as the writer makes it. If I'm coming up blank, I like to use those moments as an opportunity to go somewhere I haven't been. They always say to write about what you've done or where you've been. I like to write myself into places I've never seen or do something I was never able to do. Whether it becomes a story or not, it gets my mind goin' and the fingers tappin'.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:44 am

I fight the time-with-family battle as well, and keep telling people that my little sons often draw me at the computer when they draw me.

After feeling the "writer's block," which I've now learned is incorrect terminology, I took some of the advice I received here and strayed from fiction to write an essay about family. I've had two published in little magazines in the past. My sister said this most recent effort made her cry, and since this is what she said about the others that were published, I think I'll send it out and see what happens. I think this will be good for future "writer's block" moments -- I'll write about family, something I am more emotionally invested in, and get things moving.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 am

I'm a little too intimidated by you guys. I visited the Writing Prompt and read some of you, and also found the Challenge for Katherine you guys did. Holy cow! You guys are so good!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:52 am

RightersBlok
Private E-1

Postby RightersBlok » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:19 am

My mother did that, picking apart every little thing in my writing, speaking, etc.
Now I hear her voice passing through me to my kids, correcting everything they say. (Except my son, since teenagers already know everything.)

I guess it helped my grades didn't suffer.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am

No, I was using "guys" collectively. (I'm from Joisey!) You know who you are! You "guys" have real talent and I'm so impressed.

My son's third grade teacher has them writing all kinds of things and really getting them involved in the details of story telling. I think he's getting so much out of it, and I enjoy his stories. He's very creative. I wonder if he'll find the same experience you had with your 6th grade teacher. Time will tell.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party