[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to make the most of an Agent Appt : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to make the most of an Agent Appt

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:40 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:40 am

I have a question for those of you who have attended writer's conferences which host agents willing to make appointments with attendees.  I will be attending one this month and plan to make an appointment.  I can have up to 3 pages critqued by the agent during the interview.

Any advice on what to prioritize during those precious few minutes?  Should I focus on the query letter or 3 pages from the manuscript?  Are these short appointments opportunities to pitch my work or only for critique?

Thanks for any input! 

Curious
Lieutenant

RE: How to make the most of an Agent Appt

Postby Curious » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:35 am

My experience with these is only second-hand (through my editor's stories about them). So I'm not sure how much help I can give (in fact, I'm not even the target audience of your question). Not that that'll stop me from tossing out an opinion! But others will know more. James?

What I do know is that, while my editor is interested in providing an honest critique at these things, she also keeps an eye out for really good stuff and did, in fact, give her card out a couple of times at the last one of these she attended. I'd suspect that an agent would think the same way. But at the same time, one of my editor's pet peeves is that she feels that most of the attendees at her conferences haven't come to learn anything, but only to pitch their stuff, so if you can be subtle and at least *look* like you're interested in learning, that'd probably be best.

I wouldn't miss a chance to ask an agent for help with the query letter, myself, since that's what has to get you past the front door. But I also know agents look for a good writer's voice when they recruit clients, so if you can show at least a little bit of your manuscript, that'd be great, too. Could you do both? One page for the query letter, two pages of the best part of your manuscript? Editors and agents can often sum up what they think of an author's chances from two or three pages of text.

Do you have to double-space? Because I wouldn't if you don't have to, I'd single-space with double-spacing between paragraphs in order to get more material in.

In the interview, I'd probably focus on the query letter in my questions and let the chips fall where they may. If the agent is interested in you, he or she is unlikely to let the interview terminate without making that known. These people know their business.

Anyway, that's my best guess. No better than yours, and probably worse, because you're probably looking up every agent interview on the Net to see what they like to discuss in a critique session!

Clare

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:58 am

Thank you, Clare.

This is what I was thinking, too.  And, while I would love to have one of them jump up and start singing my praises (ha!ha!), I really am hoping for some feedback that will help me improve both the writing and the query. 

I know how to write; I don't know what they see day in, day out.  Their perspective will be invaluable!

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:41 am

Yes, there is a cost.  $100 covers the all day event.  I heard back from the president of the organization this morning, and the agent appointments are strictly for pitches; the critiqueing is done by a different set of people.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:55 am

Lisa, Of course I have no advice, but I wanted to wish you well with the appointment! Best of luck. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.

Susan

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:17 pm

Wish you the best Lisa. I hope you come back telling us you've found yourself an agent. And a good one too.
Hey Josh, when you do find one in the Southeast, let me know. I don't really look into those, yet.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Well, I got another reply from a query today, and the agent said that she really liked the voice and tension of the book but that the topic wasn't her bag of tea.  When I asked her how I could tweak the query letter, she told me to leave it alone, that it was excellent as is and that I just needed to find an agent who connected with the topic.

So I think I'll take 3 pages of my manuscript into the agent with me instead of the query letter.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party