[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
HA! HA HA HA! : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

HA! HA HA HA!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Pendragon
Major

HA! HA HA HA!

Postby Pendragon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Pendragon
Major

HA! HA HA HA!

Postby Pendragon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:40 pm

O.k. those that follow the soap opera that has been my 2008 know that I got a nasty comp virus in January. Totally and completely screwed my cp beyond all salvation. I had no choice but to do a complete restore. I did manage to insure all of my writings were saved to a jump drive first. However only after the restore did it occur to me that we didn't own the version of office that was on our computer. Kathy got it from her work three years ago. Money being what it was & continues to be getting another was proving hard as hell. The computer only came with Micro. Works. All of my stuff was on Word.

I then went into a massive two month maybe three month depression were I wouldn't even look at writing. I would come on and read & such but I was mad. Then I couldn't help myself and had to write. So I opened works and made due. My honest opinion it did what I needed it to do but it's kind of like going from a full sized sedan to a used sub compact with a bad pain job.

Well leave it to my wife. In her spare time she has become the family's unofficial event planner. So thanks to my brother in law's fiance needing some help. We got office back, which means WORD. Yee-Haw!

I know word is by no means the best wp out there, but it's what I'm used to and I feel like it I'm back in the saddle though. So YIPEEE!!!!:emoticon:

TraciG
President of the World

Re: HA! HA HA HA!

Postby TraciG » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 pm

YAY for you!!!

So you'll be churning out that best seller here in about a week right? :) Kidding, Kevin. I'm glad you're still in great spirits and still writing. Sometimes I worry if Bogie has too big of an influence over you. I mean, you look like him and everything. Tee ... hee ...

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:10 am

Sometimes we need the familiar because it's what we know and like, so good for you for getting Word again - and how nice of your wife to be looking out for you. Congrats and happy typing!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 am

Good for you, Pendragon. Good to see you smiling. :)

getgoodgrade
Private E-1

Postby getgoodgrade » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:21 am

I haven't seen such a passionate person, who's addicted to writing so much, before reading this thread! When I am going across lot's of this threads, I gain so much inspiration to write up something!
New York City based writer, editor in .
”I am in harmony with my annihilation.” ― Georges Bataille

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 am

Dude! That depression, SO SAD!

I'm so happy you got your works back! Awesome feeling!

Congratulations and keep on writing!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 pm

If this happens to someone else. Losing ability to install Word, there are substitutes. Like Jarte; A free word processor that reads and writes in Word format.
Also, for any version of Word. Microsoft has a (for free $$) 'Word Reader,' which if one has a document already existing, one can both read and type into. Like maybe get a Doc file, clear everything out, type whatever one wants, and save it to a new name. Might miss some real Word Options, but one can read any Word file, and create new Word Files.

For me, the next time I buy a new computer, I may forgo getting Word at all to get "Scrivener" Does all I want, and for a lot less money than Word, altho it does cost money.
Last edited by Frank321 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 am

Glad you're back in the saddle again, Pendragon. When your computer got the virus were you riding the horse? :D Just kidding.

Hang tough with that depression. It can take so much precious time away from your life.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 pm

'OpenOffice' is a *free* office suite by a respectable company (Sun, who makes Java) and except for minor GUI differences, is self-similar to MSWord. It's always a go-to whenever MS poses any problems. Very comfortable and easy-to-get-used to. You will find just about every tool, option, or button in MSWord mirrored in Open Office.
Blow up the bridge?!

Return to Writers' Block Party