WD tribute to Paul Swearingen

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Oldtimer
Colonel

WD tribute to Paul Swearingen

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 am

Our new contact with WD magazine, Jessica Zafaris, contacted me recently. She had only just seen my request that our highly respected moderator, Paul Swearingen, be featured in an article in Writers Digest. She is looking for details about his personality, life experience and his work here on the Forum. I am sure many of you remember Paul with affection, and I hope that you will post reminiscences of his wry humor and helpful suggestions. Rosalie has already mentioned his famous suggestion for reviving a sluggish plot: Kick your protag down the stairs!

I have tried to contact Paul's brother, Kim, but Kim lives overseas and I doubt whether my Facebook post will reach him. Do any of you know a better way, please?
Last edited by Oldtimer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: WD tribute to Paul Swearinen

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Some time ago, I retrained my writing habits thanks to Paul's oft-repeated mantra that one should strive to use "all right" rather than "alright", even though the latter has become more colloquially acceptable these days. Now, every time I type "all right", I'm fondly reminded of Paul.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: WD tribute to Paul Swearingen

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you for the memory, cynicalwanderer. I'll include it in my snippets to Jessica.

I received a reply from Paul's brother, Kim, this morning. He didn't have anything to add to his obituary that was posted on Facebook, but said he would like to read the tribute after Writers Digest publish it. I'll make sure I send him a copy.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Re: WD tribute to Paul Swearinen

Postby Rosedarling » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm

cynicalwanderer wrote:
> Some time ago, I retrained my writing habits thanks to Paul's oft-repeated
> mantra that one should strive to use "all right" rather than
> "alright", even though the latter has become more colloquially
> acceptable these days. Now, every time I type "all right", I'm
> fondly reminded of Paul.

I do too.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

RobTheThird
Private First Class

Postby RobTheThird » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 am

For years, Paul was the only voice we heard from Writers Digest. Through all the troubles with the functionality here, and the period when we'd sign on to find 40 PAGES of overnight spam. And he soldiered on, taking the time to delete every last thread...

We could report a post, and if we didn't uncheck the option to hear back from WD, Paul made sure to respond. Even when I forgot I hadn't unselected it.

Paul is the sole reason I kept giving this forum more chances to "get it right."

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

It looks like I've missed a lot on here. Paul was a great mentor to me over the past few years. I hope all is well. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Burningthyself
Private E-1

Postby Burningthyself » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm

He hated hand sanitizer.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 am

I sent a collection of your comments to Jess yesterday, but she was out of the office, dealing with a personal emergency. I hope it is not too serious and that whatever has gone wrong, can be put right soon. Best wishes, Jess.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am

Jess hopes to be able to compile the tribute sometime during the first full week of March.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am

FYI:

I checked with Jess yesterday, and received the following reply today:

Thanks for touching base, Dorothy. I began working on it, but was called away on a business trip for most of last week. However, it's nearly complete, so I should be able to run it in the next few days.

I will keep you posted.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party